Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market (Galway 2023)

Options
  • 29-08-2023 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭

Galway's Christmas Market is returning this year and promises to be bigger, better, and longer than ever.

The annual event sees Eyre Square transformed into a winter wonderland and the 2023 edition is due to run for two months straight.

The market will start from Friday, November 10, and run past Christmas day into the first week of the New Year with plans to wrap up on Sunday, January 7.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Annflynn

looking forward to it😃

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What's there that will make it better I wonder? Going on previous there's not really anything at the Xmas market that is better than what you'd already get in town. Atmosphere and a Square that isn't empty is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rustyfrog

Phew, I'll hold off on the shower head purchases until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Waste of time and space. It never feels like Christmas when you go.

Hopefully, the ice rink comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Advertisement

I'm happy to see it extended this year. It never made sense to me that it finished up right as folks started holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Most Christmas markets on the continent finish up in the days before Christmas as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Honey50000

Galway doesent need to do the same although I think extending it too far is not good either it is supposed to be a xmas festival

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

I always work up until xmas eve and assuming it'll be open on 26th/27th I'll look forward to a wander when it should be less hectic. Any idea which brewery is going into the beer tent this year? Really would love them to return to the original idea of German beer and oompa music playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭the_galway_fry

does anyone now what the charges are to have a small stall there?

pm if you prefer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭the_galway_fry

doesnt actually say on the site , it is just a portal to apply

Well it says 70 eur a day for artisan stalls, no idea if that's the type you want so you'll have to contact them for details beyond that

Sorry, there's no details other than that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Christmas trees gone up today. Saw one in Small Crane, another in Woodquay

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not sure about extending it as they are past Xmas - Galway is usually very quiet over the Xmas break - students gone home, very few tourists and most of the sane people are sick of spending money at that point. Still nice to have for those that can't enjoy it before xmas and probably a good idea to try get more footfall around town but I'd have to wonder myself whether it's just a gimmick to "justify" the charges they are charging stall holders as opossed to anything that's been thought out too much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I feel uncomfortable how it corrals (hope I've got that word right) people into little chutes like rats in a maze or something.

My security head thinks about how vulnerable it makes people.. I suppose I should say bah humbug here

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ThePentagon

Much preferred the market when the tents/stalls weren't confined to the path and could be located in the centre of the square. It felt less cramped. Alas, that set-up ruined the grass for months afterwards and, justifiably in my opinion, was abandoned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm with you on both points, the grass areas of the square are not capable of supporting the market, the crowding of the cabins is too dense to be comfortable

I'd like to see these parts or eyre square resurfaced with something more robust so the space is usable for community events throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What sort of community events would you have in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

There was a poster on here year's ago obsessed about keeping the grass area's free during when the market was on. Used to get very annoyed.

The sod in those open areas waterlogs so quickly it's unbelievable, a more robust drainage system plus a better sod would make a big difference to the recovery time of the areas marked

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The city has some people who are obsessed with having pretty patches of grass. And in fairness, Eyre Square is the only central green spot at this time.

And others who aren't happy with any commercial activities on the public space. That includes a market where 90+% of the traders are solely businesses, not charities.

Watching bricks and mortar charity shops rebrand as vintage does not help the charity element people think of.

However that's a much bigger issue not really relevant, though it's difficult to stay relevant talking about a temporary market in an established city.

Markets I've been to internationally were always in some form of historical market place. The northern end of the square was a market of long standing but no longer available, I've no solution or agenda here by the way. Just what I observe, as right or wrong as I may be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

It's a good idea to extend it past the 22nd/23rd or whatever it used to be.

I remember one year maybe 2016/17 they had the usual stuff in Erye Square but then had pop up shops and a long bar down at the Spanish arch.It really joined up the two areas of the town and I'm sure shop street/Quay Street businesses were happier too.

As far as I remember it was only I

one year,I wonder why they stopped this? Possibly it was bringing too many people (many with drink onboard) down around the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

the weather..... storm came in one year and put that to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,181 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It was 2013 I think. I just checked there and have photos from that year down that side. It was more of an 'alternative' bar than beer tent, so it certainly fitted in with the vibe of that side of town, albeit the wrong side of the river.

I guess the water element was the deciding factor, and while the crowds were not as big/rowdy as the beer tent, it was still too dangerous.

Big dirty drug fuelled raves and have everyone pissing in the doorways of city residents.

Not really but that's how you'll interpret any community event anyways so let's leap straight to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Was in town over the weekend and went for a look. Lovely smell from the food......disappointed that it's €5 for a bag of chips or €8 for a large (which really is just regular) Bratwurst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,181 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

€6 for a small portion of mini doughnuts!

I guess there's a reason that there is no really visible price list in some stalls.

Advertisement