Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Germany

Options
  • 29-08-2023 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Having way to much time on my hands I have been searching in Germany for a camper van which we'll be using mostly for European trips

I have sourced a van for 51k that suits our needs there, based on the Irish OMP of 80k which is high the VRT comes in at approx €11k when i compare the mostly the same LHD van on done deal from condron campers for 76k it's an enormous saving now i know warranty wise I'll be paddling my own canoe but still over 10k saving

I would be interested in hearing from anyone whose gone down the importing route

Thanks

The van is

2021 ( 212 REG ) L.H.D

FIAT DUCATO 2.3 MULTIJET 140 BHP MANUAL ,10923KM.

FOSTER 599 LIVING UP CAMPER VAN . 

2 BERTH,4 SEAT BELTS, FIXED REAR BED.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's your money it's your call. Before you do buy it, make sure you can get insurance and that you don't have to pay import duty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gwento

Insurance won't be a problem rang around a few places biggest problem is getting to speak to a person rather than a machine.

There's no customs and because it's second hand no vat applicable as buying in European Union unlike the UK so just the 13.5 percent VRT which is whatever they decide on the day the open market selling price is

Will be keeping a record for reference to revenue of the van in condrons for 76k which I'm thinking looks like an import too. the van in Germany is near identical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Good, you see lots of people asking about insurance after they've bought and can't get it.

I know it's almost new but can you get a habitation check/damp report done, that would be your biggest risk.

Get them to show you how everything works, don't let them rush you, you are spending a lot of money they should give you the time.

Ask about warranty, for example can they send you to a dealer in ireland that they do business with.

I imported an older camper van from Japan so was hit with import duty, vat and vrt. Was still worth it but mine was about 6 or 7k not 50+

Try to have as much evidence of value so you can hand it to the VRT people in dublin or even can you VRT it in Roslare, could save you having to appeal a ridiculous value, at least you will be dealing directly with the people involved.

If you live in Dublin I find Murphy Trucks in Ballymount very good for the CVWT / DOE test. They give it good check over but are also very fair and easy to deal with. The DOE is only a mechanical test not a habitation check.

Get a toll tag for here so that if you are on your own it's easier to manage.

Advertisement