Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running holiday destinations

Options
  • 28-08-2023 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

I'm with my family on a lovely little break away to Ardmore in Co. Waterford.

My wife and I both run and are both marathon training at the moment.

It's an incredible place to run. We've both ran the Ardmore cliff loop, ran on beaches and yesterday morn I drove 20 mins to Dungarvan to do my long run on the Waterford Greenway. That was absolutely fabulous and a massive credit to Waterford CoCo.

What an amenity.

As much as we're getting the runs in, we're not on a running holiday.

It got me thinking though, if you were to plan a running holiday, where would you go?

Would love to hear of others experience of at home and around the world, what are the top destinations for running and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Valencia is nice, lovely city and you can run around the park, full of runners.

Chamonix for mountain routes...lots to choose from, stunning area.

North Wales for more hills/mountains..

Lake district in England..

Kerry Way, beautiful.......

As you can see I like hills and they are all lovely !!

Depends on what type of terrain you want to run on I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I think I've run on every holiday I've been on in the last 15 years, it's a perfect way to explore. My favourites have to be along the beach in Phu Quoc (Vietnam), Venice (Italy) and Derrynane in Kerry - the latter being right on the the Kerry Way with paths that bring you along old mass paths, Abbey ruins, idyllic beaches and coastal and mountain trails. The Lake District in the UK is on my bucket list too! Donegal is another great place to run with places like Slieve League and Glenveagh National Park. I always google places to run in whatever holiday destination I'm going to and there will always be some great recommendations off the beaten track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

was in gweedore for a week just 2 weeks ago, not a flat metre in it anywhere, some place to build strength, you wouldnt want to be afraid of wind or rain though

did a long weekend in the south of france last feb, trail running camp run by an irish guy from kerry, he is pushing it hard on social media im sure a lot have seen it, great craic , good weather, good food, good running.. definitely worth looking into

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Obviously we live in a great country for running so no shortage of choice, Greenway, hills, coastal and national parks.

Most of my favourite holiday runs have been in Italy. Of them for me the most memorable would be the canals in Milan for really long straight scenic city running and the coastal routes from Rimini to catilica early in the morning are amazing adventures.

New York - central park gets an honourable mention, has to be done

My dream( unfulfilled as yet) destination is boulder Colorado, don't really know why but all the YouTube trail bloggers end up there at some stage. Looks amazing, and while I'm dreaming I will add Patagonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Sandwell

The great thing about running is that you can do it anywhere so that means that most great destinations are also great running destinations e.g. New York has some super running in Central Park and around the perimeter of Manhattan. I've also really enjoyed running in DC, Boston, Amsterdam and Munich.

Anywhere with a good network of cycleways is going to make for great running too. Riva del Garda or any of the villages on the northern shore of the lake is a good example. There are plenty of single-track mountain trails within easy access too.

For a pure running holiday, as in somewhere you wouldn't go except for running, it's got to be hard to beat Iten. I spent three weeks there a few years ago and found it so interesting culturally. You get a real insight into why running is such a potential lifeline for Kenyan kids. It's also full of runners from all over the world so you can talk running 24/7 if you want. The running itself is great too of course, although the altitude and the hilly terrain make it pretty challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Recently back from about a week and half running in the Vosges mountains in France with a few friends from around Europe, couple of who have a bunch of Air B&B in mountains. We were out of the flats early every morning then a bit of car logistics to put one at the send of that's days run, back to the start and then some fantastic trails up and down the mountains. Then finish each morning at some mountain restaurant just as they open up for lunch time, get a few beers, eat a lot of food and then back to the flats for the afternoon and more of the same.

Absolutely fantastic week, really hot (even with the early starts), great local swimming pool for the kid to mess about in for the afternoon. There had been early plans to have had us staying at each farm overnight each day, but allowing for some not being as able for each days run meant that wasn't feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

One place I really enjoyed running was in Nice along the Promenade des Anglais, it's really flat and wide and runs parallel to the sea. It's about 7km long, you'd think there was a race on every morning with the amount of runners using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

We've been bringing or renting bikes on holidays since our kids were very little so luckily having good cycle paths is always included in our research, a win win for me to get a few runs in as well. It's worked particularly well in France, the cycle networks over there the last 2 holidays were brilliant. Also worked well in parts of Ireland that have a Greenway, Achill and Dungarven spring to mind.

Advertisement