Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bank For Buck Phone For Birthday Gift

Options
  • 28-08-2023 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a phone for my wife for her 40th birthday.

She currently has a Samsung Galaxy M31.

I personally have an iPhone (provided by work) so am not at all familiar with what would be considered decent Android phones.

Ones I have seen mentioned as being decent value (from random googling) are Google Pixel 7 and the One Plus range.

Anyone got opinions for a decent one that isn't hideously expensive (don't have a specific budget but prefer not to spend 1k+ ideally)

The Samsung S23 range look fab but very pricey. A good camera would be a priority (probably herselfs biggest priority) and I'd be looking to get a minimum 256Gb of storage.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice (I realise my requirement is somewhat vague).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I have a Pixel 7 Pro and the camera is astonishing. I moved from OnePlus 11 and while both phones are on par when it comes to performance the camera is outstanding on the Pixel. That said the OP11 is faster charging which I do miss.

I bought it from a store in Naas that were advertising on Adverts. Cheaper than what google are selling them for.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-mobile-phones-accessories/google-pixel-7-pro/31316131

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I switched to using Xiaomi phones about 6yrs ago and have always found them to be a really good balance between price and performance. I'm currently using a Poco F5, 256gb storage 12gb RAM and Snapdragon 7 series. I use the Xiaomi.EU ROM which nixes the advertising. I am very happy with it.

My uses a Poco f2 pro that she's had 3yrs and keeps putting off changing as it is still rock solid.

My son has had a few redmi notes over the last few yrs but after breaking his most recent purchase. He's now using my over 5yrs old Xiaomi mi8 until he decides on his next one.

For in and around €300 I really do think that Xiaomi/Poco/Redmi (all same company) offer great options, just be sure that if you aren't comfortable with flashing software that you order "Global ROM" versions or buy locally.

Now there are plenty of other options available too. Best place for getting info is on the Chinese android thread

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

Pixel 7a I would of thought fits the bill. I think there's some discounts to be had on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Galaxy A series phones are decent midrangers. Does the day to day stuff just as well as the expensive S series .

But people and their phones can be strange, even broke people pay big money to have a high end one and don't need any of the things that make it a high end.

Advertisement