Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insulation - Dry Lining

Options
  • 28-08-2023 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I am currently living in a house with mass concrete walls with no cavity.

I am looking to dry line the structural walls with insulated plasterboard.

My main concern is to make sure I get no mould and dampness on the insulated plasterboard in years to come.

I am wondering could I stick the insulated plasterboard straight onto the wall or will I need to maybe put a batten onto the wall first.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, have you given consideration to external wall insulation over internal wall insulation? Is EWI an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Johnoboyo

I have taken it into consideration yes. It would come in a lot more expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You can do either, but be aware that you will need to at least partially insulate the internal walls, both those that connect with internal walls and those that are presumably sitting on an uninsulated slab or you will have cold spots and condensation/mold.

EWI is a much better solution for the reasons that GreeBo advised as it creates a complete insulation envelope rather than a patch-work interrupted by the structural elements. That's why it's much preferred by all here. There are also grants on this type of work which aren't available if you just use insulated plasterboard.

In terms of your question, you can adhere the insulated plasterboard to the wall using expandable foam and then use 'mushroom fittings' to fully secure the board. I'd personally prefer to avoid battens, but others would strongly prefer them as you'll also have to consider how you deal with any moisture which works it's way past the integral VCL membrane on the insulated plasterboard, especially around openings such as plugs and switches. It's essential that this is sealed off properly as otherwise you'll have future issues within the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Hi All

Whats the latest advice for insulating a shed conversion? I'm reading differing views

and lots of posts from 10 years ago.

I'm converting shed to an office. The shed already has floor insulation under the concrete and 65mm insulation

in the cavity wall. EWI isn't an option. I was going to use insulated plasterboard but am now

reading about condensation etc. What are people doing these days?

• Advertisement

Typically using a well sealed VCL directly behind the internal finished face material so that the moisture can't migrate into the external layers and condence. But you still need vents into the space anyway.

Advertisement