Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing timber frame to a cavity block wall

Options
  • 27-08-2023 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

There's an existing well pump house on my property that needs replacing. There's a 4-course cavity-block wall around the base and the original construction has 3x2 boards attached to the back of the cavity wall for framing, with cladding screwed onto the back of that. The blocks are wrapped in therma wrap and the water runs off the cladding onto that. The whole thing is a disaster and there's a pic below.

What I'm planning to do is tear down all of the existing timber and put some new proper framing on top of the cavity blocks so that the whole thing is water tight and can be insulated. What I'm not sure about is how to anchor the new framing to the cavity blocks. Given that the cavity faces upwards, there isn't very much block to anchor to so I'm not sure how to go about it. I could potentially lay a course of solid block on the top of the cavity blocks to give a solid base for the framing, but I'd prefer to not bother with that if I can avoid it. Any ideas or pointers would be much appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement