Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I upgrade my Trek 2.3 or replace it?

Options
  • 26-08-2023 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am an occasional 48 year old cyclist, 10-12 cycles a year of 40 Kms or so, who does quite a bit of running and is thinking of getting more into cycling in 2024.

I currently have a Trek 2.3 madone 2013 I bought new on the btw scheme.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Trek/Madone-23-C-H2-Road-Bike-2013/1K6D

Things have moved on since this and I am wondering should I look at buying a new or used replacement or upgrade the components on my 2.3 as I have not changed anything on it so far. The bike is in very good condition so I am thinking an upgrade of components might be best but still feel a new bike might help get me a few Kms faster to keep up 😃.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

What components were you thinking of upgrading, and who do you need to keep up with?

I'd be of the opinion that if the bike is in good nick, get it serviced, and replace any consumables that might be needed (chain, cables, brake blocks etc.) and get out and get some rides done.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for an excuse for a new bike, then it definitely needs replacing 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

I have a 2011 version of that bike here, the first "proper" road bike I bought after starting cycling in early 2012, it still rides really well and is a very solid well engineered bike, you'd have to spend quite a bit of money to get a noticeable upgrade. You'd certainly have to go to carbon frame.

The reason mine spends a lot of time on the turbo now is that it has limited tyre clearance, you won't get anything bigger than 25mm on and even less if you want full mudguards.

If you do decide to keep the bike and spend a little money on ut, start with the wheels, you'll see most bang for buck by upgrading the stock wheels, especailly if they are 10 years old, new cables after that, then see how it feels

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It is a good bike in good nick, give it a service and replace anything that needs replacing and then decide next year when you know if you will increase your mileage or not. Personally, if it is in good nick and you have no great gra for another bike, I would stick with the one your with for now. At 400k a year for 10 years, it probably needs little replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Good advice above..if the bike is in very good condition, I’d have it serviced and it should come back good as new. Some good tyres would be a noticeable upgrade over the originals as well.

I’d probably avoid sinking a lot of money into it, replacing the wheels and groupset, as there are great second-hand options out there at the minute that would make more sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Good sensible advice all around. I bet it's not what the OP wanted to hear though. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

I'm still on a 2009 bike - just replaced worn parts and serviced over time - upgrades were a lighter wheelset + saddle + better tyres

still in love with it 😊

On your Trek, I'd suggest a service - to replace all the cables & maybe cable housing, brake pads, bar tape and a fresh set of nice tyres. Will feel like new

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

Actually, I've rethought my original response here.

You should buy a new bike. Your old bike is basically scrap. I'd be willing to take it off your hands for 100 quid, and that's being generous...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You've got a cracking winter and training bike there. Keep it in good nick, keep it serviced, ride the bejaysus out of it on the roads and on a turbo trainer and in the meantime keep an eye out for a second bike for next year for summer / race / event usage. AKA, a "good" bike! And then you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Thanks all,

Good advice. I got it serviced earlier this year and was told it was in good nick so will hold on until I see how much cycling I get done before next summer. Maybe losing a few pounds might improve my speed more than a new bike (and be cheaper) 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yup unless you're a pro the best upgrade is always the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Promise yourself a newer bike if you get to a certain km or number of cycles between now and eg April or weight loss etc great motivation to get out there.

Advertisement