Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used VW Jetta vs Hyundai i40

Options
  • 26-08-2023 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All

I'm looking for a used car that's reliable as I will have to do trips from Waterford to Cork on a regular basis. I'm looking at two cars at the moment - a 2016 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI with 115k km and a 2017 Hyundai i40 1.7 crdi 140bhp with 140k km. Both have a full service history and two previous owners. The question is which is likely to be the easiest and cheapest to maintain. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Hyundai unquestionably.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why only these 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jetta without a doubt.

The i40 will be more comfortable and better equipped but the i40 has too many potential expensive pitfalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pearse767

Well I'm not wedded to either, it's just that they are readily available and within budget. I want a decent diesel car sub €15k that's big enough to comfortably accommodate child car seats and buggies etc. I don't want anything with more than 150k km and I want something that's cheap to service and maintain so I'm ruling out any "premium" brands. It's only a second run around car I'm looking for. We have a new SUV that serves as the main family car, this will only be for work purposes but I want the flexibility to accommodate our little ones stuff if the other car is in for a service etc. I'm open to suggestions but those two are what are standing out at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭bigroad

All second hand diesels can be expensive to fix.

For me ,I would go for the Jetta.

The Hyundai won't be worth zilch in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

i40 is not as reliable as perceived by the general public, clutches and gearboxes can and do fail quiet easily on them even with low mileage. Jetta is quite dated now too. The Jetta was basically a Mk6 Golf with a boot which in itself was really a facelifted Mk5 Golf launched back in 2004.

I'd go with a Mondeo myself over either to be honest. A newer model from 2015 onwards, 2.0 TDCi engine is much nicer than the underpowered 1.6 or 1.5 TDCi. Avoid the Powershift automatic gearbox as they were problematic and a rebuild will cost a fortune.

For example: https://www.carsireland.ie/3400873

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pearse767

Thanks for your comment bazz26. I did look at mondeos and Passats as well but I have been finding it difficult to find good examples within my criteria. The one in your link is a nice motor. I'll do a bit more research on them.

My father owned and i40 and liked it - granted it was under it's original 5 year warranty - but he did put alot of miles on it and it never gave him grief. So I figured they would be a good enough bet.

Thanks for your info!

Advertisement