Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New connection

Options
  • 25-08-2023 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi,

Bought my house in March and immediately signed up for Aptus wireless broadband, 24 month contract. Not the fastest at 50 mb/s, but better than nothing.

Now couple of weeks ago had eir sales rep to call in and he said that in September technicians are connecting local houses to fibre and connection will be free of charge. I've said that I'm in the contract and cancellation would mean that in would have to pay for18 months ( 60/month) to Aptus.

He said sign up and cancel within 7 days of install, cancellation will be free with eir and you'll get cable down to the house free of charge. At the moment nearest pole is 100m away.

Does this sound right? Free connection and no fee if cancelled right away?

Will I be safer to wait until my contract with Aptus is over and sign up then? Would I have to pay connection fee then, when no technicians are connecting whole area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

No, definitely don't sign up if you know you'll be cancelling straight after. Free install is not some sort of limited time offer to risk the hassle. Practically all providers have offers to connect you for free.

Sign up only if you will be keeping it. Sales guy just wants a sale out of you. But he's not the one who will be cancelling your account, you will be left on your own dealing with customer care and the termination bills.

What you should do instead is call Aptus. Tell them you are getting visits from sales reps that you can get Fibre. Ask them to check maybe they can do it too as they might use the same cables. They are NBI approved which is one of the cables Eir uses so here's hoping.

If they can upgrade you, just stay with them.

If they can't offer fibre, ask how much would be termination fee to cancel account today. It's not always just a flat €60/pm for 18 months it could capped at something like €300.

Once you know termination fee, call Eir, Vodafone and Sky sales. Confirm they can get you fibre. Explain situation how much termination fee you'll get. Ask them to check with their supervisor if their company is willing to cover any of the termination fee for you? You might get an offer. Keep in mind if they offer you an amount, they won't pay that directly to Aptus. Instead you get that amount as a credit towards your bills.

Advertisement