Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edit

Options
  • 25-08-2023 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Edit due to OP being taken out of context. Bullying by Keyboard Warriors is not acceptable.

Post edited by gillamandango on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hold on ..

You destroy, tamper, disrupt their nest building ...

Then wonder why the nests fell down or there are less and less of them every year.

And blame crows.

I'd imagine is hard to build nests on newer houses ... or if multiple nests need to be built ... could be exhausting ...will find and post a link in a bit ...

Really houses should have mandatory places where swallows, house martins, swifts can nest ...

Or for the selfish people, they could get a GRANT for not destroying wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Each year I used to remove them before even 25% built

A good kick up the hole is what you'd want. Wtf do you think you're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The love-hate relationship with swallows is interesting. As a homeowner I had a two swallow's nest at the front and side of the house for around 10 years, but around 5 years ago they stopped coming. I didn't have an issue with them, I could deal with the droppings etc, but my immediate neighbour was very sensitive in relation to his silver car and he cursed the birds and used to encourage me to remove the nests (it only added to the friction between us).

So I can see it from both sides, the droppings are the most intrusive element, I think you can get over the chatter/noise over time. I'd be supportive of the swallow bricks, but they would have to be installed with consideration of their flight-paths as they also collect and throw their chick's droppings within around 5m of the nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gillamandango

You need to understand why someone had to do this, and why, before opening your mouth acting like a big person with that threatening behaviour. You would think someone was removing an active nest.

• Advertisement

It's still not ok, you still deserve a funt and you're not helping them. They have to waste time and energy looking for somewhere else because you've destroyed what they were building. Would it kill you to let them carry on?

You go to other countries and they are happy to have and facilitate all sorts of birds to nest in their buildings.

Here its omg what about my car. We are so far behind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

From a legal point of view, that is an active nest! Once a bird starts building, it's active.

Advertisement