Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easkey

Options
  • 25-08-2023 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭

I live in Dublin, I used to surf a lot, back in 2001 to 2009 Easkey was hopping, you could camp in a tent, camper van. If you were brave LJ's hostel. If there was a good swell people came out of the woodwork. The pubs were packed and grate craic.

Then around 2009 everything changed. We had the economic crash but also the up a height restriction barrier. Then covid came, pubs closed. Some didn't re-open. 

Surfing is even more popular now and you see way more campervan and motorhomes about. But the town with two of the best reefs around, with great facilities, is dead. A few miles down the road at Aughris or some of the smaller beaches around its buzzing. Easkey Community council had build their own campsite in the village but its €30 an night and in the wrong location. No surfer would choose to stay there, it's like a landscape painter going to the Alps and booking hotel room and paying extra for a view of bins. It looks like to me they've made it plain, surfers aren't welcome they should go elsewhere - and they are! What town turns away year round business?  What's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There is, or was, some kind of issue going on in Easkey, I'm not sure if there still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

There was a meeting about issues relating to local development out there recently, but pubs are dying out all over rural Ireland, AFAIK the only pub open in the day during the week between Molly Fulton's and Ballina is the close to Ballina, Muddy Burns while Dan O Connors, Fiddler's Elbow and Coragh Dtonn once very strong pubs all are rotting away.

Advertisement