Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed number 1 preference by 15 points

Options
  • 25-08-2023 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

missed my first preference in UCD by 14 points. Course was 500 in 2019, its 556 now.

Just wondering if 2nd round offers were to fall as much as 14 points? I'd imagine there are no 3rd,4th or 5th round offers for alot of courses here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sekond

The 2023 points aren't out yet. Points can rise and fall each year. I wouldn't panic just yet. There could easily be 3rd or 4th place offers as people are offered other courses in round 2 and free up places, or decide to defer places etc. And then there is a bit of a reshuffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You don't know what the entry points will be, they haven't been released yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Have any courses there dropped in the last 2-3 years though? Thanks for the info. I'd imagine the course points will rise even from last year which is mad

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sekond

Only 18 courses in UCD had their points go up last year (https://www.ucd.ie/newsandopinion/news/2022/september/08/caoround12022ucdpointsrisein18outof35entryroutes/). So the other 17 either stayed the same or went down. Points change all the time, and are an effect of popularity of courses and the levels of the students interested in them (the points required are just the point of the last person to get in - so if all the people who are interested in a course have around 450 points, that's where the cut off will be), it isn't the colleges setting the points.

If you look at this article from last year you can see that nursing and primary teaching dropped points, while environmental courses went up - and this had been expected due to changes in application numbers/popularity of courses. https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/education/2022/09/08/cao-2022-most-students-get-one-of-their-top-three-course-preferences/

Advertisement