Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Steps Toward a Concrete Modular Home Build

Options
  • 25-08-2023 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are hoping to start a new concrete modular home build on a greenfield site.

What would the first steps in the process be?

I spoke to a land surveying firm this morning and left the call with the impression that the process might look something like this:

• site topo survey
    • decide on a design and purchase plans
    • engineer plots plans onto site and undertakes planning application

Does that seem logical or am I missing some key steps?

Thanks in advance, Nicholas

Post edited by nicksnikita on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,961 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's a wee bit more than that involved.

Do you own the site?

When you say "green field" are you talking rural location?

"site topo survey" - just so that we dont get definitions mixed up can you confirm the purpose for this survey?

Im not sure what you mean about the engineer plotting plans. Can you elaborate a little please?

Sorry for the questions but just making sure we are talking about the same things here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i would talk to an architect/engineer before you do anything, they should be able to guide you through everything

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Thanks for the reply.

• Yes we own the site (field)
    • The field is located in a village but there are no houses immediately to either side
    • The purpose of the survey would be to advise on the suitability of the site for construction of a house
    • Engineer taking the plans we have and placing the house in the optimum location/orientation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There is a hell of a lot in this

• The purpose of the survey would be to advise on the suitability of the site for construction of a house

are you on town water supply?

are you on town sewage system?

If the answer is no by 2 then its a much bigger project

who will design the house foundations that are suitable for the site conditions?

This piece is usually done by someone other than the supplier of the lego and may require trial excavations with JCB or bigger

Am concerned that the site topo survey might just be a TOTT job with a report that will be full of caveats?

I would ask to see an example of their reports

Lastly, who will advise on necessary sight line for the entrance?

Project is very doable but you need to understand the process and where the segregation of duties/risks//responsibilities lie so please ask more questions and provide and much specific information as you can

• RE Engineer taking the plans we have and placing the house in the optimum location/orientation

the front door will be facing the road😎

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If a land survey firm gave this advice, I would interpret a 'site topo survey' as measuring the site, plotting the boundaries and road and any other features and supplying you with a drawing - maybe 1:500 scale. This would typically be used as a site layout map in your planning application, with the proposed structure marked on it and any new road entrance, location of well/ septic tank/ connection to public services etc.

If the field boundaries have been there a long time, then they may appear on the various Ordnance Survey maps and you can generally buy a 'planning pack' from them with an extract of your site and maps necessary for planning. You'll likely have to buy this anyway. As to whether these will serve above needs depends on location, but obviously proposed development works will have to be marked on them.

Engineer/ architect?? If you're buying a modular home build - not real need for an architect as such imho. Anyone who is qualified to handle the planning application & experienced in it can do the work. Ask for references of previous work.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info in points one and two!

Regarding your third point; that's exactly what we're hoping for.

Yes, we would be on the public water supply and sewage system, thankfully.

Foundation design is the responsibility of the engineer, with relevant information provided by modular home supplier.

Thanks for your points regarding the site survey. Awaiting reply from the surveying firm and then will discuss further with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,199 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What type of engineer have you engaged, or do you plan to engage?

You have mentioned purchasing a plan (from a modular home supplier?). And you want the engineer to locate this optimally on site. Who is selecting the house plan? Sounds like it is yourself. If that is the case, how are you ensuring that the house plan is optimal for the site, and the planning controls. Or will it just be a case of this is my design, place it as well as you can. The chances of getting close to optimal is slim.

The firm I spoke with are civil engineers/architects who work closely with the land surveying firm we have engaged.

I mentioned on the phone our plan to build a modular home but haven’t discussed in depth yet.

We’re flexible in that we’re not restricted by space on the site and we haven’t got our heart set on building a dream home. We’ve wasted years at this stage pursuing house purchases that have fallen through and with the family growing, we see this as the fastest way to a new build.

But that’s a good point regarding planning controls and one we’ll be sure to raise at the next stage.

Advertisement