Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior paint removal

Options
  • 24-08-2023 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

I'm starting the paint prep of my new house but there is many layers of paint to deal with, I've pressure washed, wire brushed and scrope as much as possible but I'm afraid the finish will look uneven if I paint over this.

I've a good few windows to do, what would be the best approach to strip off remaing stubborn paint please/Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭10-10-20

By the look of it you'll need a scraper and a heat gun. Try the scraper alone first, but obviously the flame can't get near the PVC (even through it's relatively resilient).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Ya, glass scraper works but hoping there a miracle solution that's faster as I've the all the sourrounds and sills to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If the remaing paint is sound and well adhered I would consider just wet sanding to feather the different layers and try and level it out, ready for filling, priming and painting. I did similar on some old concrete sills years ago. My original intention was to completely remove the many layers of paint (more than 50 years of it!), but I gave up as some if the older paint was so well adhered. Wet sanding worked out well and no worries about new paint reacting with alkaline concrete...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Perks

Sounds like you've got the prep done I'd select one window and do a test.

Paint a base coat, this will help highlight the uneveness, areas your unhappy with, fill, sand, paint.

Doing a test window at this stage would manage expectations and can cut down on unessecary work

Advertisement