Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute Teaching - Hold a BSc Sport & Exercise Science?

Options
  • 24-08-2023 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I graduated 2 years ago with a BSc Sport & Exercise Science and with a lot of self discovery and introspection have decided to take a different career path in life & pursue a degree in teaching (unsure as of yet which B.Ed. program, most likely Hibernia). However, I need to re sit HL Irish in 2024 for acceptance but I don't see this as a barrier but more of a motivation to knuckle down and reach my career goal in life!

I have been working as a GAA games promotion officer coaching in national schools and with the different class groups where my passion for teaching & working with kids defiantly grew. I do understand & acknowledge that teaching & coaching essentially PE are 2 different things (told by many teachers I've reached out to for guidance) but I have done my research & understand what is involved in the role of teaching. I also believe that my interpersonal skills are highly correlated to that of a successful teaching career (as confirmed by different aptitude test I've taken). This is a decision that I've really reflected upon & one that feels right in my head & heart.

Just wondering about my eligibility to undertake a role as a substitute teacher for the forthcoming year understanding where I am coming from in my previous academic endeavors.

TIA for any insights that can be offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Your first port of call should be the Teaching Council. You have not told us if you wish to teach in primary or post primary, though if I'm correct, your determination to qualify in Irish suggests primary.

The TC will assess your degree in terms of what it qualifies you to teach and to what level.

Be sure to submit all documentation to the TC... despite anecdotes, they are quite ok if you have your paperwork in order.

I would avoid going near Hibernia at this stage.... I have seen too many cases of people who have been throgh Hibernia and are qualified to teach very little.

Very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thought that old chestnut had had it's day :) Hiberniais recognised as well as the traditional routes. When I did my dip years ago, there were people who had no subject or CSPE or something like that which resulted in a box to be ticked when applying for the PME that you qualify for at least one subject. OP if Hibernia works for you, do it. Same qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

You can register on the teaching council website with your degree and you will be paid as an unqualified sub. Get your Irish and apply to Hibernia. There’s a shortage of sub teachers available at the moment especially in the Dublin area so you can try subbing to see if you enjoy the classroom environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bolton121

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. It is very much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing what the future can hold now once I get into a class room and experience it.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MizzBiz

There are SNAs been given substitution hours as they cannot get qualified teachers. Put your CV into the schools you'd like to sub in and they will phone you if they need you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement