Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying my first (second-hand) car in Ireland?

Options
  • 24-08-2023 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I have recently moved to Ireland from Australia and am starting to look for a car. My in-laws have a second car we can use for the time being so not in a massive rush.

Looking at the second hand market in Ireland has been an eye-opener. Most second hand cars seem to have very high milage and excessively priced. I grew up in the North, so have also been comparing with there and the UK and prices seem generally better and milages much lower.

Is there an affordable way to import from the North? I have an address there so could buy one and register it there and transfer it here further down the line. I am also interested in buying a campervan further down the line and would also be looking at the UK/NI route for that.

Furthermore the market in Ireland is rammed with German cars, and I would like a Japanese car as I prefer them, do they hold their value well in Ireland. In Australia Toyota is the biggest seller, followed by Hyundai, Kia and possibly Mazda, with the german cars mainly being in well-off suburbs, new cars are much cheaper (base level 2023 Mazda 3 - 16000 EURO) and generally quite high resale values, so I am out of my depth here and looking for advice.

We have just sold a Toyota Prado and corolla, so looking for a decent size family car (wagon/suv/mpv) and a hatch for a second vehicle. No idea as to budget but around 20k for the larger car and 15k for the smaller would be a good place to start, priorities are reliability and low depreciation.

Any advice is more than welcome

Advertisement