Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Familysearch

Options
  • 24-08-2023 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Familysearch.org - the Mormon site that holds millions of genealogical records - used to give access to various records including ship manifests and US census records. It now seems to be sending these requests to a monetised site, findmypast - anyone know what's happened?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I've just checked and was able to view a 1910 and 1950 US census return without being redirected to another site.

Are you logged in when you're having this issue?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Hermy's right. You do have to be logged in to view many things on FamilySearch. It's free and I've never gotten ads, emails etc. from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Yes, I'm logged in. This is new to me, never happened before. It's when you click on the image of the census to see it. It sends you to a site called Findmypast, which I have registered on my password keeper as "Scam, not free" - these three images show the result on FamilySearch and then how it directs you to FindMyPast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That’s the English census which is not, and to the best of my knowledge has never been, free to view on Family Search so that’s why you’re being redirected to Find My Past.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement