Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity insulation and internal insulation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,256 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

U value calculation methods set out in TGD part L

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,141 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the first thing we need to know is, is this a new build dwelling, or an extension or renovation?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If new build, you need a DEAP calculation. What you suggest likely meets minimum wall spec but DEAP will consider everything as a whole including heating, ventilation, build fabric etc and confirm compliance or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I ended up with using 25mm foam board and 12.5mm plasterboard in a 37.5mm warm board.

I calculated the R value as:

97mm cavity insulation with 0.022 thermal conductivity is R value = 4.4

25mm warm board insulation with 0.022 thermal conductivity is R value = 1.17

U value = 1 / (4.4 + 1.17) = 0.179

Not including plasterboard, sand cement, two bricks, and 25mm air gap. But it would be lower e.g. 0.17 if we did.

Post edited by Tim Robbins on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,141 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well you obviously need to include everything to calculate the wall U value.

0.18 would be very borderline for compliance

• Advertisement

Absolutely. But once I was under 0.18 I was happy enough.

The other walls in the house are 90mm insulation internal BER is B1, and the house is gas heated (with solar help for hot water). I feel most important thing is you are not making house worse.

Extension. Adding 50 square metres to a house that is 112 metres. Already BER B1.

It was too much hassle to go with air pump as felt the rest of the house was not high enough spec.

Goal was to keep it BER B1 at a minimum and anything else was a bonus.

I'll just include other information in case anyone in similar situation.

Flat roof insulation is 150mm rigid, warm roof. U value is 0.147.

Windows Munster Joinery, triple glased munster joinery 1.1 u value. Note: deliberately avoided dermot bannon massive windows as feel there is no point doing this as this kills your over all room u-value.

Advertisement