Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Light Bulbs in Series

Options
  • 23-08-2023 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

I have 2 lights in my attic as it is an L shaped house. I just fitted two 6.5W LED bulbs and can't get them to both light up at the same time.

The wiring looks fine. Lights are linked in series and take a live feed from the upstairs light circuit to a switch in the attic. Wire is 1.5mm2 and the neutral is connected into the ceiling rose of an upstairs bedroom. The connections are tight.

Both bulbs are fine as I checked them in another circuit.

With both bulbs in place neither bulb lights.

If I bypass either one of the bulbs the other bulb lights up fine. I've switched around the input/output for each bulb and it made no difference.

I switched one of the bulbs out for a 46W halogen. The LED bulb lights up but the halogen doesn't. If I switch bulbs around between light fittings the LED still lights up but the halogen doesn't.

Puzzled as to what's going on. Is the LED limiting the current flow here. If it is why did I get both bulbs to light up when I put them in another circuit (albeit there was a light switch for each).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

Domestic lamps should never be wired in series. By wiring them in series you are halving the voltage to each (assuming they have equal resistance).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cclaireadrianne5

I can see why you're puzzled by this situation. Based on your description, it sounds like you've done a thorough check of the wiring and connections. Since you mentioned that each bulb lights up individually when bypassing the other, it might be an issue with compatibility between the LED bulbs and the circuit. LEDs are more sensitive to current fluctuations than traditional bulbs, and the circuit may not be providing a stable current for both LEDs to light up simultaneously. This could be due to factors like the LED driver or the overall circuit design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Wired up in parallel and working fine now.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement