Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Someone reversed into me

Options
  • 23-08-2023 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

So had my first incident, they reversed out of a parking spot into me. Other driver was not cooperative so I took pictures and have dash cam of it.

I rang my insurance to report the incident and told them it was other party fault. Now what do I do?

Do I go to a panel beater or do I wait for my insurance company to ring me or do I contact other person insurance to claim?

Comments

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Leave it to your insurance company to advise you.

I'm guessing they have all the information etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I'd notify the other person's insurance company that you are making a claim against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Preserve your photos and dash cam footage. This is really important. I hope you have the other drivers Reg Number and contact details. You would be surprised how many people try to back pedal after an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your insurer cannot pursue a claim against the other party on your behalf, unless they have first compensated you for you damage as a claim under your policy. You must do that directly yourself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ring their insurance and initiate a claim.

Did you get their insurance details? Take photo of the discs on the window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

Very poor customer service from your own insurer in not advising you how to proceed correctly. You have to contact the other parties insurance and initiate the claim.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

You don't necessarily. My insurer compensated me before liability was confirmed, in order to get me back on the road asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, that's another option if you're on fully comprehensive, downside is you have a claim marked against you until it all gets sorted out. But yes, if your car is not drivable, it's sometimes the better and quicker route to get back on the road. Unfortunately the OPs insurers don't seem to have advised them on any of the options.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Do you have the other parties insurance details? If yes, contact them and explain you want to initiate a claim. If no, then it’s Gardai first and explain that the other party refused to provide you with their details.

Advertisement