Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time Classic owner

Options
  • 23-08-2023 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be picking up a classic next week - it will be my first time and I just want to sanity check myself.

It isn't too old 1988 E30 - in excellent condition and driving - has a current NCT etc.

I have a quote from FBD on a classic policy which seems reasonable. My biggest issue at the moment is having somewhere to store it. I thought I had a safe garage up the road from me but it isn't an option anymore. I will keep looking out for somewhere local. It will have to be parked in my driveway (secure, electric gates, CCTV etc).

I plan on using it as much as is reasonable - at weekends, evening etc so it won't be sitting for weeks on end.

I'm not mechanically minded and don't have a relationship with any independent mechanics locally so will probably have to find one I can trust when any issues do arise.

Has anyone any recommendations for a decent cover for the car while it is stored in the driveway and until I can find a suitable garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I don't recommend any cover for a car which sits outdoors to be honest - I've had loads of E30's, and it'll do fine outside as long as its driven and taken up to temperature occasionally.

I'd tend to avoid one if you're not mechanically inclined though. They'll usually have small issues arising - and most garages now have no interest in trouble shooting stuff on them. Being able to resolve a lot of these problems yourself makes for a much easier ownership experience. Any semi-competent mechanic will be well able to do the general stuff - shocks, brakes etc. My local garage in Coolmine do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to work on my E30's, I do the rest of the work. You're unlikely to have issues finding someone to work on it either way.

Post edited by kdevitt on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Where are you based? If you’re near Dublin I can recommend some storage for winter. If you’re not going to be driving it much it’s better to have it indoors for the winter.

Also, congrats on the purchase 🙂

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

i'm up in the north east - I already have an option for storage in the winter based in Dublin .. but i'd like to have it closer by so I can use it more often.

I’d recommend Carstorage.ie in Castletown. Might not be too far from you. I had a car in there for about 2 and a half years. No hassle getting it in or out, you’ve your own space. The sheds are bone dry.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Try E30 owners Ireland on Facebook. Good source of help and assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

OP here again.

I took the plunge and picked up the car last week .. 88 318i with 77k miles and full service history. Runs fine - a little hesitant from a cold start but once running seems perfect. Body work is in really good condition and as original inside and quite clean - only change is a new stereo (original is in the boot)

I put a couple of hundred miles on the clock over the weekend and enjoyed every minute of it!

Insurance with FBD was reasonable. I have an option for storage over the winter but for the moment it will be used over weekends and the odd day during the week.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If you can let me know who/where that storage is, would be great!

Of course, it’s carstorage.ie. I had a car there for about 3 years when I lived in the area. Never any hassle and it’s your own space so you can get your car anytime. You’re not stacked like they are at Mr D’Arcy’s.

Cui bono?

Advertisement