Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to BLOCK some Emails

Options
  • 23-08-2023 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi

I'm recently receiving emails from separate Dutch companies which are unwanted, however the facility which normally allows me to Block unwanted emails does not show on my email. ( I use Hotmail )

2 or 3 of these seem to be arriving every day now in Dutch.

Does anyone know Why or How this is happening & how I might fix it. I'm reluctant to Click on any of the links in case of hacking etc.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What "facility" do you use?

on webmail go:

1.settings

2.email

3.junk email

4.Add (domain or specific address)(not good to block hotmail.xxx,outlook.xxx,gmail.com, etc at domain level as it will block legit senders too)

5.Also, see if address(es)/domains in question are not on "safe senders" list already - remove

See how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Thanks.. unfortunately in these cases the email/website address is not shown.

??? if message was delivered, it has to have address

Where are you checking mail , what device? Do you have proper computer access?

in browser, right click message - options to read message info (where it came from) as well as block sender , create rule are there

Believe me - it doesn't. I've hovered over the name & nothing shows whereas proper email addresses would (like you said). Hovering over the "You" (my address ) does show my own email address as it would normally.

"Where are you checking mail , what device? Do you have proper computer access?" - At home on my normal PC, YES I have proper access.

I have checked "Rules" option & inserted 2 different rules to delete.

The problem is that I go & delete the email (cannot block) and another one comes up from a different supplier the following

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If they are in Dutch can you filter them on a Dutch word that appears in all the emails. Assuming you don't get emails in Dutch normally.

• Advertisement

What sh1t you have stepped in? Have you subscribed for something, newsletter perhaps? It might "stink" for a long time now.

I advised to read message info (header), not "hover over".

Find factor(s) that match in all these spam messages such as: "smtp.mailfrom=????" , "X-Return-Path:????" , "X-Envelope-From:????" , "Received: from ????"

You might have to create several rules if there are variations

I suggest "To Junk" rather "delete" , just to avoid inadvertently deleting legit messages

You also could try...

Edit: added ???? to point to values you should be looking for, before you "junked" all your mail

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

Here's a copy of the "Blocked Rules" I've created so far to try to stop the emails coming in to me.

I've received another one this morning. Fortunately it's only a sales pitch but it's just annoying.

Thanks for your help.

But how many did it block.

Sorry mate - not opening "docs" from internet. screenshot would do...

There was a time when i was using my personal account for signing to various websites, forums etc. and soon enough i learned that "we care of your privacy" means exactly the opposite. No longer do.

Getting subbed for spam is like take a piss, get rid of it is titans task.

Exhaust all your options and see if it helps, i know for sure it wont be easy...

Here's a screenshot of some of the rules I've created so far.

• Advertisement

I have no idea. Is that possible to find out ??

They would be in the spam folder unless you delete them

As per above, messages that fail under rule condition would be in the folder specified

As per your screenshot, you have rules that redundant - "Klik hier" is covered in x3 rules , reduce clutter on your rules.

You could set categories(create one for each rule ) per rule condition to quickly see what rule was enacted on the message, if you want to

No - I always check the Junk folder just in case something goes there by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hashirshabbir

First, open the email you want to block. Then, click on the "More" option (represented by three dots) usually located next to the sender's name. From the drop-down menu, select "Block" or "Block sender." This should prevent future emails from that sender from reaching your inbox.

As for the increasing influx of unwanted Dutch company emails, it's possible your email address has been added to their mailing lists, and it could be challenging to pinpoint the exact reason. To mitigate the issue, consider marking those emails as spam and regularly emptying your spam folder. Be cautious about clicking on any links in these emails to avoid potential security risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are you sure that there is no 'unsubscribe' link at the bottom of the email? Have you tried contacting the company and telling them that you want to unsubscribe?

You could try reporting them to the Dutch equivalent of the Data Protection Commissioner.

Yes there is one - I've clicked on them and it seems I'll have to wait as it takes 10 days or so to activate

This is an example - "om u af te afmelden voor deze aanbieding, klik hier"

The sites themselves look legit, just annoying selling stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not unusual to have a delay in activating, as some mailshots may have already been prepared or extracted. Give them two weeks, and if they're still coming, get onto the Dutch DPC.

Advertisement