Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing plasterboard

Options
  • 23-08-2023 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My understanding is there is two ways to install plasterboard on internal walls.

1. Glue / screw it to wall
    2. Or put battons on the wall and then attach to those battons.

What are the pro's / con's? Does it make any difference if you are using insulated plaster-board?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Shoog

You cannot screw to wall but you can glue directly. Battening allows screwing.

For insulated plasterboard you can use expanding foam glue which if done properly should be the best job in terms of airtightness to the wall.

I can see no reason to battern for insulated board. The batterns are a potential point of failure if they got damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You can also fix insulated board with these fixings...

https://insulation4less.co.uk/products/metal-mushroom-fixings-250-per-box-all-sizes

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

So if you go with that option, you go straight to wall right? How then does the electrician get his wiring in? Do you just cut holes in the plasterboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He chases the wall for his wiring and fits the wires and the back boxes for sockets and switches. The excess wire is then fed through a hole in the plasterboard.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Shoog

Those mushrooms are generally used in combination with dab and dot glue or foam glue. They are primarily designed to hold the plasterboard in place in case of a fire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement