Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for those in HR public sector

Options
  • 22-08-2023 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

My question is, and I cant seem to get an answer online or in any employee booklets or websites, when your probation period is up and you don't want to remain in the role/office/dept etc you are assigned to what can you do? Do you have to wait for something to come up either internally or via publicjobs.ie or is there a way to move to another department remaining at the same grade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Mobility if you are in teh civil service - don't think there is an option in rest of public service

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

I think a few sectors have their own, but there isn't any permanent transfer mechanism across sectors.

I'm reasonably sure the Local Authorities and HSE have methods, and I think universities may have one as well. And the civil service definitely does, as mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭AyeGer

You could speak to your manager or HR enquiring if there are any other roles at the same grade that need filling. Your current manager would need to agree to release you though which could be the difficult part.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Harryhol

Do you mean my Line Manager would have to agree to release me or the Manager in the office I'm in? I report to the Line Manager I'm just basically Admin support for the Office Manager and his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭RonanG86

You can apply for a transfer, or apply for reassignment if you want a move within the same section.

Transfer applications are usually accepted, but you could be waiting a while to actually be transferred. Reassignment is at the gift of whomever your section head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It would be whoever is responsible for staffing in the department I’d imagine. I don’t think it would be your line manager. But you could talk to them about it first if you wanted to.

Advertisement