Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing old brass pendant

Options
  • 22-08-2023 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭

I presume I would need an electrician to take out the attached which is fitted to the landing ceiling. It's about 30 years old and obviously the wiring is old. I have a new shade after taking down the original. How much do you think it would cost to replace it. In relation to the pendant could the old one be kept and just the shade holder part which is damaged removed and use the new shade with the old pendant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It doesn’t necessarily need an electrician but it does need someone who is familiar with electrical wiring and safety, is comfortable working at a height and has a suitable ladder. A competent handyman should be able to do this. You might be able to use the old pendant, it just depends on the condition of the old one and the type of new light fitting. A new pendant fitting is only a few euros in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You don't necessarily need an electrician to replace that, it all depends on your level of confidence around isolating the device and working with wiring.

I'd guess that if you could get an electrician to do this small job then it would be priced as an hour's work, so maybe around 100 EUR to replace that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks folks. Anyone know of a handyman around the Artane area?

Advertisement