Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for plants in a terraced driveway?

Options
  • 22-08-2023 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm interested in getting some potted plants/shrubs/trees for my driveway since it's quite dead lifeless right now. I'm absolutely useless when it comes to gardening so hoping for low-maintenance suggestions here if anyone has any. It's a typical small cobblelock driveway in an estate. Ideally I'd get something that would persist year round so I think I'm looking at evergreen options, either in 3-4 pots to line the side of the driveway or 1 long pot to support a few things. The only thing that I've found so far is Boxwood. It's definitely an option, but it looks quite formal when I've seen it.

Any tips?

Post edited by guitarless on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it sunny or shady? If its mostly shady you could try sarcoccoca https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/sarcococca-confusa/ I have three pots of them in a totally shaded path to the door and they are growing well, started from cuttings. They have a very strongly scented flower in winter, nothing in the summer but they do have pleasing shiny dark green foliage.

Give us an idea of what aspect you have for useful suggestions.

Your title gives the impression you want advice on paving rather than plants which may be why you have not got replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 guitarless

Thanks. It's east facing so I get strong direct sun in the morning until lunchtime when it moves behind my house and it's then shady for the rest of the day.

It seems like the sarcoccoca is ok in a bit of sun as well so might still be an option?

Fixed the title, I just wanted to portray that it's a cobblelock so there's no soil to plant in and will need to be potted 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes the sarcoccoca will be fine with some sun, just not all day and hot midsummer sun (I wish!)

Another possibility - Pieris Forest Flame, nice flash of red leaves in spring with sprays of cream/white flowers. I have one in a pot in total shade and it is ok, though it does not flower. If I moved it a bit it would be happier. I had one growing on an east facing wall and it was lovely.

Advertisement