Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York hotels

Options
  • 22-08-2023 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭

Any tips for getting a decent deal there? Heading over in October. Prices seem excessive for that time of year. I get that that's the reality but wanted to hear other's experience, dos and donts, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Expensive place. Brooklyn / Queens will be cheaper than Manhattan. Get one close to a subway station.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

Depends on a few things.....Have you been before ? How long are you there for ??

Have you idea of what you want to see and do ??

If you've been before and seen a few things you could stay further out and near a subway.

It's a big place so I would lchose ocation based on the number of days you have and what your actually interested in ....Sights / Shows / Sports events

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

Try hotwire.com - you don’t know which hotel you get until after the booking but you can see location and rating. I ve booked many times, and as long as the rating is above 4 and location is good - I ve never been disappointed. And priceline.com - you can see which hotel you are getting or you can select 3 and you ll get one of them. Booked good few times through them as well. New York is always expensive unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Hotels in New York have gone very expensive in recent years, even compared to their already previously high prices. As others have said a steer on why you’re going and ideally where you’d need to stay would be good. Don’t expect it to be any cheaper when you get there…. Everything costs a fortune. Except coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

Yes, be absolutely prepared that everything will be expensive :( We went to a concert in Boston few weeks ago - 2 beers were $40. Went to a local fair weekend after that and beers were $7 each, seemed like a bargain :))) I remember going to NY for the first time in 2006, for a long weekend, as you did back then as Celtic Tiger was roaring :))) and hotels were expensive at that time, our flights with AL were under €400 return though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

We stayed in Korea Town earlier this year. Hotel was cheap enough. Really, we might as well have been in Brooklyn as everything we wanted to see was still a subway away. We could walk to Times Sq and a few places though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭fabvinny

We stayed at the Marmara hotel, E94th street (not the one on park avenue!!) It was really nice,and a subway stop (Q line I think) right outside the door.

It wasnt that expensive from what i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Long Island city and Jersey City are very close to Manhattan and easily accessible via rail and subway. Much cheaper than Manhattan itself

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

I'm going to NY for 4 nights just before Thsnksgiving. I booked it in May. We got our flights for 440euro return each, and the Fitzpatricks Grand Central for 200dollars a night. I booked the hotel directly. Its probably the cheapest deal I've gotten in 15 yesrs of going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

This. LIC especially is a great option as you have subway lines to Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn - including the G line which goes between Queens and Brooklyn without the long trek via Manhattan. Lovely city views from many hotels there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

You can buy a week long subway ticket for $34....was over there some weeks ago. Gives you great freedom to hop on/off anywhere around the city i

• Registered Users Posts: 20 purple puffin

Hi @Murphy2020 - how was Fitzpatrick Grand Central? Reviews online are mixed (as for every affordable hotel) but would be great to get recent feedback. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

Hi @purple puffin , Well I'm planning to go back if the price is right again this year. I won't lie it has pros and cons. We were upgraded on arrival and we were given one of the large suites. The room was quite large compared to other king size rooms on the same floor. The location was ideal for access to Grand Central Station, however at night the surrounding area is dead with very little bars and restaurants. But we found one great bar closeby that we loved so wasn't a problem for us. The hotel is clean. Staff are pleasant. The bar food was nice. However, we tried a drink there one night and being so close to Thanksgiving I thought they should have Christmas music playing like other bars. Instead they had this African music playing in the bar, quite bizarre. It was dead in there too at night. There's a fab coffee shop next door serving great pastries and coffee, suited us both as we aren't big breakfast lovers. I was thrilled with what we paid for the four nights do hoping to rebook again. Look out for their stay long discount code when booking direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 purple puffin

@Murphy2020, thanks so much, that's really helpful!

Advertisement