Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selecting heating/hot water and ventilation systems in a provisional BER

Options
  • 22-08-2023 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭

My read of what is required in a provisional BER is sufficient data to check compliance with Part L so once the requirements of Part L, including a renewables piece are met, then, in the absence of the client specifying a heating system, a hot water storage system and a ventilation system, the default HP can be used, with elec heating used to heat the water, and that none of these selections will impact on meeting the Part L requirements of the provisional BER.

Furthermore: the BER assessor has no role in selecting any of these systems?

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,238 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As useless as a Provisional BER is, isn't it even more useless if it doesn't reflect what the proposed finished build will be?

When I carry out "Preliminary Part L Reports" I ask the client for the breakdown of the proposed construction / heating etc. Sometimes they have nothing beyond "A2W system" in their proposal, so I would specify a mid range heat pump myself.

I don't like using default values for heat pump and electricity hot water heating at this stage because it's not really a reflection of what the finished build would be. However in the absence of any information you are probably safer to use default values, though you may find it difficult to comply with all the requirements in part L

Advertisement