Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing providers - FTTH

Options
  • 21-08-2023 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

We are currently with Airwire paying 79 euro per month for 1000mb download and 100mb upload.

Ideally I don't want to reduce speeds, the upload in particular is important - but it's getting to the point where I don't really want to pay 79 euro.

If I decided to switch, is it a seamless transfer or would I lose internet for a certain amount of time?

Are there any companies which can be as reliable as Airwire but for cheaper rates - looking for recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Are Airwire actually that reliable ? I was with Eir FTTH 500mb for the last 4 years and only had a single outage when a tree took down a pole during a storm which would have impacted all providers. We've two of us working from home 5 days a week since COVID with no issues.

I've recently switched to Sky Broadband to bundle TV. Switchover date is this Thursday so I'll let you know of any downtime. I expect an ONT reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

I think Sky is currently the cheapest FTTH €40/pm if you want 1GB.

Eir €45/pm is a good deal if you got mobile with them. Can't go wrong with €9.99/pm sim card. Either are so much cheaper than what you are paying now.

Vodafone are €50/pm, but they are trying to shake the market by removing "thereafter" price. Interesting to see how will that affect other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Thanks! Maybe I’m overly worried about switching.

Just always hear bad things about the big companies.

what’s the thereafter price mean?

do you have any issues with these companies at all? Who are you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Moved over to Sky 500mb from eir 500mb today. Connection went down for just under 10 mins and came back up with a sky/BT IP address.

Getting a solid 470/52 all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Great thanks.

I might call Sky up then - I find their customer service is actually pretty good, and they're always happy to offer deals - I'm with them for TV anyway.

Did you need to contact your old supplier to cancel or is it a bit like electric where it's all done by the new company you're signing up with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They might remove the "thereafter" price but they compensated for that by having their annual CPI-rated increases. With inflation as high as it is right now it could be a significant increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Their terms are also CPI +3% so always increasing in real terms relative to other goods and services.

Its the extra 3% I take issue with, I might not like it but I appreciate businesses need to pass on increases in their own costs to remain profitable, but increasing 3% even if no inflation looks like price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

I find this very strange, how can they justify +3% above inflation. Very condescending to Irish consumers. Honestly, I cannot see Vodafone getting away with unjustified increases like this in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

l looked at their terms again and it’s even worse, they can apply the full 3% even if CPI is negative (maybe unlikely as it doesn’t happen often but it’s a brazen term).

If it’s any consolation they screw their UK customers even worse, it’s CPI +3.9% for them.

Advertisement