Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is with these phone/bank scammers?

Options
  • 21-08-2023 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

We've all been getting fraud messages.

I got one yesterday, normal response was to block and report it as fraud.

This morning I got a phone call... from a cute sounding woman....... who knows my name;

Claiming to be from my bank (which she also knew), presumably looking for access information.

Normally scam calls are from recorded messages.

This was a sharp sounding young woman, very convincing, clearly connected to the scam message I got yesterday as she referenced it.

When I pressed the conversation for her details, she just mumbled something and hung up.

Reported the message to the bank fraud awareness team but what are they gonna do?

Scam artists should be trapped in Buffalo Bills pit for life.

And they're getting worse, not improving. You'd think with improved technology that fraud prevention would be more competent at tracking and preventing their activity?

In physics we trust....

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

How in the hell would she have got such accurate info on me as to get my

1) name

2) phone number

3) name of my bank?

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Maybe not a scam, but can easily be it too. Could be a data breach and your details get leaked. I'd have stayed on line to hear the purpose of the call and what do they want...

Re the last sentence, I tried.

But she basically just hung up on me once she had the impression her cover was blown.

Concerning.

Cause these scams were formerly recorded messages, easy to spot.

Not phone calls with an answer to every dubious point: "oh, our number is block as it's a one way line. We use mobile numbers for texts cause we believe in being personable with our trusted customers".

Fraud prevention should do better preventing.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

FFS's.

Turns out this particular call WAS valid.

It was from card services who had blocked my card.

They called me from an unknown number, and messaged me from an 086 number - but turns out that was valid.

But an attempt at a fraudulent transaction had been made.

BASTARDS!!

Fraud team are on the ball however, apparently. Blocked and reissued my card.

In physics we trust....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

The banks can have a lot of bad habits

Even PayPal sending emails with links

Aib mortgage used to ring me from a private number and ask me to confirm my details before discussing the mortgage

They could be anybody . I said it to them

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Haveibeenpwned is a decent place to check if you think your details might have been leaked in a hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,188 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What I find is a particular beauty is banks like AIB actually list on their website the number they will send you a text from if there is fraud. Any idiot fraudster working from their mam's boxroom could spoof a text from this number and if someone Google's the number it comes out first result as a legit bank number and could cause all sorts of confusion and ease of scamming.

What number will the text come from?

The text will come from

o   For Debit Cards +353 86 180 3367;

o   For Personal Credit Cards +353 86 180 3392; and

o   For Commercial Credit cards +353 86 180 0846

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Closing this thread as the OP has had his answer and it has run it's course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement