Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service query

Options
  • 21-08-2023 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi, just wanted to get people's thoughts on this. Had a car in for service with vw dealer last week. When i went back to collect it they told me the bonnet cable was broken. It was not broken going in a I filled the screen wash a couple of days before. They want me to pay for repair, €243. Should they cover the cost of repair or at least part of it. Customer there for 13 years! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d imagine it just snapped when they opened the bonnet. Could have happened to you the next time you tried to open the bonnet and you can’t really prove they broke it. Not sure how they could even break them.

Just go somewhere else to get it fixed. The bonnet cables are only €25 or something depending on which ones snapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Buffman

€243! I'd be going down the road of they broke it, they fix it. I preume the car is new enough if you're still servicing with manufacture. Any warranty left? A bonnet cable isn't a wear and tear item on a newish car and is normally only broken by abuse or flaw.

As you say, you're 100% happy it wasn't broken when it was left in. Them expecting you to pay €243 for something they broke is hilarious.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭User1998

You can’t just break a bonnet cable😂 It was obviously on its way out already. I’ve had 4 year old cars need new cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

191 car. No warranty cover. Asked if they would go some way towards covering it. Said they would see. They weren't too enthusiastic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, if a 4 year old car needed a new bonnet cable from normal use I'd be questioning their build quality big time. If someone abuses it and pulls too hard on it, it's quiet easy to break something and that's a different story.

Ye, definitely push for them covering labour at least. All I can say is remember things like this when you're changing cars again and note which manufacturers have a decent 5/7 year warranty and which don't.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement