Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver side seat airbag intermittent issues

Options
  • 20-08-2023 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I leaned a bit hard on the side of the driver seat where the airbag is located (trying to reach a parking ticket machine after stopping a bit far from it), and the airbag icon showed up on the dashboard along with a loud beep, but then quickly disappeared. My car is a Peugeot 3008, 2013 model.

From that time, the loud beep and airbag icon show up on the dashboard intermittently and disappears after a few seconds, almost every day.

I tried pressing/pushing the airbag side of the seat several times just in case it can fix the issue but no success. It looks like the driver seat might need to be dismantled to look into the airbag connecting wires. Any ideas on how much this job might costs in Dublin?

Also, my car is due for NCT soon, if I'm unlucky enough and the loud beep and airbag icon show up on the dashboard during the test, but then quickly disappears, will this cause any issues with the NCT?

Thanks a lot!

Post edited by Amouar on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

Scan the car for codes and see what they bring up. Otherwise you are trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Thanks.

If the loud beep and airbag fault appears and quickly disappears during the NCT test, will this case any issue?

7.1. Safety-Belts/Buckles and Restraint Systems

7.1.5. AIRBAG(S)

Method of testing

1. Visually check for the presence and suitability of airbags and ensure that no airbag is obviously inoperative.

2. Check that the airbag(s) malfunction indicator does not indicate a fault in the system.

Notes

• A passenger airbag that has been switched off is not a reason for failure.

CHECK ITEMS REASONS FOR FAILURE SEVERITY

Check for:

a. Presence and condition (airbag).

b. Malfunction indicator (vehicle interface).

c. Operation (airbag).

d. Malfunction indicator.

(a). Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.

(b). System indicates failure via the electronic vehicle interface.

(c). Airbag obviously non-operative.

(d). Malfunction indicator light (MIL) not working, not going through the correct sequence or indicates any kind of

failure of the system.

That is from the NCT manual on page 131, so if your airbag indicates a fault, then yes it will fail

The fault disappears and doesn't show up a few seconds after it is triggered. Not sure why it would be a fail if the fault can't be recorded/ read by a code scanner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

It will be recorded and show up on a diagnostic scan, it's likely the connections under the seat rather than anything in the seat itself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

It doesn’t have to be scanned. If they see the light appear they can fail you.

All you have to do is start the car after the test and show them that the light isn’t illuminated

Looks like a common fault that cannot be found in the errors log https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/airbag-or-seat-belt-pretensioner-faulty.334564/

If I start the car after the test and the light is not illuminated, will they change the results of the NCT test the same day?

Thanks

Yes, you can do it straight after the test. As long as the light illuminates when you turn the ignition on, and switches off when the engine is on

• Advertisement

If you bring your car in for a test and during the test the loud beep and airbag icon show up on the dashboard and then disappears, it's a fail

If it fails and then you try to say that the light acts normal afterwards as per the posts above, the tester will know and will still fail it

It is your choice if you want to risk it or not

It will be a different tester so they won’t know and they won’t care

If the car fails and then the OP goes back in and says hey i fixed it, it be the same tester

Also it be on the test sheet that the light comes on periodically

The light is coming on for a reason and instead of playing poker or russian roulette why not scan it and get it fixed

I'm planning to fix it, but the issue is that it's intermittent and doesn't show in the errors log when the light is off, however I'm 100% sure it's coming from the seat.

I'm asking just in case I'm unable to fix it before the test.

I'm still not sure why the NCT tester during the retest will fail the car for something that doesn't exist during the retest.

Also it is known that low battery voltage can cause random electrical errors to show up, how can they rule out a low voltage battery if the issue showed up only once?

A related question: does anyone have any recommendations for a good car electrical workshop in Dublin?

Thanks

It won’t be the same tester. I don’t know what NCT centre you go to but in any I’ve been to you just wait for the next tester to come out and they’ll do a visual check. For example if you forget to take your wheel trims off you just get the next tester to do a visual check.

I’ve had airbag lights on and got a visual check done after 2 minutes by clearing the code. They don’t care.

Obviously fixing it is a much much better option as the airbag may not be functioning properly but thats not what OP is asking about

I booked an appointment with a local mechanic to take a look at the seat airbag issue next week, but I'm now wondering whether I should have booked an appointment with an auto electrician instead.

I don't have experience with dealing with such car problems before. Do you guys go to your local mechanic for electrical issues like airbag wires etc, or do you go to an auto electrician for ALL car electric problems?

Thanks!

A decent mechanic should be able to fix airbag faults

Advertisement