Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER after BER after BER. How to avoid?

Options
  • 20-08-2023 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

Had BER for solar, had BER/heat loss test for Heat pump assessment, want to add insulation to attic now, which I believe needs another BER, which I think are typically 280e a pop?

Anyway around this, it is a bit ridiculous that the grant is not based on inspection potential or photos or simple stuff like attics. These days simple AI would be able to assess whether photos are genuine/duplicates etc. End up paying 1k for insulation and 30% more than for BER after? If i have read things right?

😎

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You only need the BER updated if you're getting a grant or selling the house (or switching to a green mortgage)

So do you need to update it now?

Going with the same assessor might get you a discount since they can just use their old calculations

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

I found insulating the attic, especially if it's not floored etc already - is far cheaper to DIY than to get an official installer to do it, and attempt to claim the grant. (Couldn't find an obvious way to get the grant for a DIY upgrade)

Rolls of 200mm Knauf insulation are inexpensive in the likes of B&Q (€44 ea as of today : https://www.diy.ie/search?term=knauf+insulation ), ordered online, rent a GoCargo transit to collect, roll out in attic in two crossing layers, job's a good 'un. Done in a day or so, and low cost by comparison to quotes I got (before BER would be included)

10 Rolls + GoCar cost, and the cost of a few €5 overalls and breathing masks so you don't inhale the old fibreglass etc, all done for under 500, with leftovers.

Advertisement