Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMO referral

Options
  • 20-08-2023 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I’ve to attend the civil service CMO shortly and although the reason why I’ve been on leave is valid and certified etc I’m still quite nervous in case they decide to rule against me.

Been through hell in my section and it got physical against me before I went on leave.

I note from the CMO website they don’t get involved in things like this so unsure how the appointment could go :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

You say you're on leave - I assume certified sick-leave? If the issue is about your fitness to return to work or about your longer-term future as an employee, then referral to the CMO is probably par for the course. However you are intimating that there is more to your case than just a simple illness absence. It's not clear to me what question (if any) you are asking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 curiousor

Yes it’s long term sick leave and certified

I'm wary about going to the CMO for a number of reasons, mainly as this sick leave is due to the pure harassment I’ve endured at the hands of a senior manager which turned physical before I went on sick leave. It states on the CMO website they they do not get involved with disputes similar to this. So how could it go well? They will certify me fit to resume work and I will be back at square 1 with a tarnished record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Well, staying out on sick leave indefinitely doesn't amount to a plan, as I'm sure you realise. If the issue is fundamentally a HR one and you wish to remain working in the same organisation, I guess you need to explore the options with the relevant people (possibly with the support of a union rep if you have one), even if you don't feel quite ready to return.

Declining to go to the CMO could exacerbate your difficulties and even lead ultimately to your being let go. It is a myth that no one gets let go from the civil/public service, so you need to proceed carefully and not act contrary to your own interests.

Advertisement