Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 quick questions

Options
  • 20-08-2023 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I posted a garbled version of this yesterday. What I MEANT to say was:

Picture A: If I put insulation and underfloor heating under this suspended floor in the sitting room do you think the existing flooring could be refitted after installing the insulation or would it have to be replaced? I think its engineered wood.

Picture B:

Would there be any support/structural issues if I decide to turn the large window on right in kitchen into a sliding or double door? It's about 1.5m wide and is in a load bearing wall. I presume whatever is supporting the window will also support a doorway? Am I wrong? Any ballpark of total cost to put in a standard pvc double glaze door here?

Thanks for any opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi!

A: Probably not - it's likely to be damaged during removal, very hard to say unless we know how it's assembled and either nailed or glued to the subfloor.

B: Probably ok there given that there is a window already in place, but a builder would need to confirm for sure and he'd bring in a structural engineer if he has concerns.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

+1 to the above (both A and B).

Re A, if existing boards are nailed and/or glued, it's going to be very difficult to try and save the boards.

Advertisement