Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any One Stop Shop experiences?

Options
  • 19-08-2023 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

I will be looking at completely retrofitting a 1970s 2-storey house in Galway city that I am buying. I presumed a One Stop Shop was the way to go because of the extra grants available but reading peoples experiences here, now I'm not so sure as they seem to be so expensive it undoes the extra grants! I'd love to hear if anyone has used any of these companies for the OSS and how they got on with them, please send me a PM if so:

Bayview Contracts 

Electric Ireland Superhomes

Energlaze Home Energy Upgrades

Envirobead

House 2 Home Retrofit Limited

Kingdom Installation Ltd

Kore Retrofit Limited

Lough Projects

Retrofit Energy Ireland Limited

SSE Airtricity Energy Services Limited

I emailed them all to ask for a quote for an Energy Assessment a few days ago, only one got back to me so far and quoted a €1000 fee - €350 grant = €650 which is a hell of a lot higher than the sample fee quoted on SEAI website:

"Yes, SEAI offers a grant of €350 for a Home Energy Assessment. And remember, with the One Stop Shop service the homeowner only pays the net cost. So, if your Home Energy Assessment costs €600, you pay the One Stop Shop €250 and they claim the €350 from SEAI. "

Doesn't inspire me with confidence!

Would also be very grateful for any recommendations by PM for contractors who could do the following in the Galway area:

• Re-pump cavity walls (these have been previously pumped in approx 1997 but the engineer says that the insulation it is not functioning adequately.
    • Heat pump system and replace radiators as necessary
    • Replacement HW cylinder
    • 10kW Solar panels, Eddi HW diverter
    • Underfloor insulation for downstairs suspended floors
    • Replacement of insulation in roof
    • Replace some windows
    • 2 new doors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

which company you use ? good?bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Literally every single experience I have heard of these are terrible. My own mam had one out to look at the house, and he was so invested in upselling as much as he could that he repeatedly recommended external insulation on the back wall... which has external insulation that was put there a few years back. She had a few others out after, and literally every single one warned against the One Stop Shops and said stuff like that story is standard.

Additional to that, because it is such an anti-competitive program if you actually go back through here you will find that most people seem to wind up being charged so much more from the 'One Stop Shop' crowds that even AFTER all the grants they are paying more than getting it done with a reputable company that does not have access to offer said grant.

As best I know though, the grants for individual services run completely differently though and there are usually several hundred providers registered with them. You don't get the grant up front (e.g. you get refunded after the fact) and not everything is applicable, but it's not a glorified grift like seemingly everything I have read on One Stop Shop seems to be.

Advertisement