Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody here been to Colombia? Have some questions.

Options
  • 18-08-2023 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I'm heading there next week. Traveling solo. Only going for 11 days. I have a few q's:

1. I have the Spanish of a two year old child. How fcuked am I?
    2. I will spend most of the time around the Santa Marta / Tayrona area. Beaches mostly. Anybody been there? Can you recommend some hostels?
    3. I'm flying in and out of Bogota, so I'll be there for a few days. I plan to do a bicycle tour. But not sure what else to do in the capital. I know there's a gold museum but I'm not too interested in that. And also a salt cathedral - is it worth it? Also any hostel recommendations?
    4. Has anyone been to Colombia in August? Apparently that's the rainy season. I didn't even think about weather when I booked. I think I made a big mistake.

So my itinerary is: Bogota - Santa Marta - Beach Hostels east of Santa Marta around the Tayrona area - Santa Marta - Bogota - home.

Any suggestions or critiques on my itinerary? Am I missing out on other towns?

I know everybody raves about Medellin, but I'd rather spend some time on the coast. Not sure if I could squeeze Medellin in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Happyhouse22

1. You will be fine
    2. Viajero in Santa Marta was nice. El Rio is famous one there but didn’t stay.
    3. Didn’t visit Bogota.
    4. Was just there in July and weather was fine - I can’t imagine it being that much worse now

Medellin was great but Cartagena arguably better and closer to Santa Marta.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭millhousegirl

Bogota is fine for a couple of days. It maybe rainy some days. Stay as long as you can in Santa Marta as the weather will be better. Unlikely to see rain in Santa Marta. Tayrona national park is amazing. Lots to different hikes and treks to do depending on how long you have.

Cartagena is also great. You could visit it on your way back to Bogota for your flight home.

Advertisement