Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to record more than one Saorview channel at a time?

Options
  • 18-08-2023 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello everyone.

I've asked several people about this. Saorview themselves told me it is only possible to record one channel at a time with the Saorview Connect Box. One independent installer told me a third party box exists that can record four programmes simultaneously, but he did not know the make. Another independent installer told me a 'generic' third party box exists that can record two programmes simultaneously.

Can anyone tell me definitively whether or not it is possible by any means to record more than one Saorview channel at a time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Maybe a TV can can record two or more channels at a time could do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The problem with Saorview is that RTÉ spread the channels over two different frequencies known as muxes. If you are watching a channel on one mux you cannot record another channel if it is on the other mux. To be able to do this you need two different tuners to access the two frequencies at the same time. As a general rule of thumb only the more expensive, high-end boxes have 2 terrestrial tuners. This is the same reason most satellite boxes have 2 satellite tuners.

So called combo boxes have tuners for both Saorview and satellite channels. The simplest work-around if you want to watch one and record another Saorview channel at the same time is to get a box to record one and use the TVs own tuner to watch the other Saorview channel.

Confusingly it IS sometimes possible to record two Saorview channels at once IF they are on the same mux.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

I'll try to keep this simple. SAORVIEW has 2 muxes so with with one DTT tuner you can record all the channels on one mux at the same time and you can watch each channel being recorded ie swop between them but you cant watch any channels on the other mux as the tuner is busy.

I dont get involved with SAORVIEW official boxes and only deal with enigma 2 combo receivers, this usually means 2 sat tuners and 1 DTT tuner. most people are happy with this.

For your requirements you could buy a very expensive box with 2 sat tuners and 2 DTT tuners. This would allow you to record all of saorview at the same time AND about about 6 channels on the sat tuners. Or record like mad and watch a previous recording.

To save you money you can get say a Zgemma h7s combo and add a SONY PLAY TV tuner to a spare USB socket, install the correct driver and voila you now have 2 sat tuners and 2 saorview tuners..

hope the above makes sense

here is a pic of one in action red means recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tedness

Thanks very much for your reply and info swoofer.

I'm not familiar with any of that equipment, but I'm happy to research it and learn more about it.

Whatever route I go, it will need to be simple enough for my 70 year old technophobic mother to watch and record. With her basic Sky package she can record two programmes while watching another, which is ample for her needs. Would the enigma 2 combo receiver with 2 sat tuners and 1 DTT tuner be able to do that and also be user friendly also?

Thanks.

As with everything its the initial setting up that is the difficulty. But yes the box can be set up to even look like sky using a skin.

Enigma 2 boxes are highly configurable, look at the dedicated thread. Unfortunately for a beginner it can be easily mucked up.

Look at thread.

Post edited by swoofer on

• Advertisement

Many thanks. Don't suppose you know any good installers?

Are you anyway handy?? Could you unscrew a sky box and re - connect a Zgemma H7s say?

I dont know your location!! say roughly

im Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cathy427

I am after the free UK channels and the Irish channels with live pause and record facilities to replace sky + hd - so would Zgemma H7s be beyond what I need? Is it for more than that?

Say as compared to something like

https://www.freetv.ie/ferguson-ariva-255/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

For day to day use, the Zgemma could be compared to the Sky box. You have a full 7 day EPG for all channels. Pause and record, series linking. The ability to watch either live or recorded shows from anywhere in your home on your own network using a PC, Laptop or phone. Likewise you can set timers or search the EPG from within your home. You can arrange the channels in any order you like including mixing Irish and UK in a single list. Say for example RTE1 on 1, RTE2 on 2 .... BBC1 on 10, BBC2 on 11 etc

The likes of the Ferguson only has now/next EPG for satellite. This means you would need to know from elsewhere, what time a show is on if you want to record it. No series recording or ability to search the EPG etc etc. There is only 1 satellite tuner so you couldn't record 2 satellite channels at the same time or watch one while recording another.

• Advertisement

Not to worry swoofer, I'm in Dublin.

Is it is easy as disconnecting the sky box and connecting a Zgemma in it's place?

No. Unless the box is configured correctly you would need to perform a few setup procedures.

There may be sites where they will supply the box ready to go but you would need to contact them first.

See if you can send me a direct message as your new I cant message you. click on my username

With the Zgemma H7s is there an easy way to distribute it to other tvs? Fine with having the same channel on them as main tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

you can stream it to other devices (phones,tablets, laptops, other enigma 2 boxes) fairly easily using client mode (both devices must be connected to the same wifi)

Thank you.

Other tvs are mounted on wall so won't fix a box unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

If the TVs are Smart ones and have an IPTV app in their app store you could use that to access channels on the Zgemma.

Use Webif to access the web interface of the Zgemma and go to the EPG. There is a an icon by each bouquet that allows you to download a M3U file with all the channels in it, then upload it to the TV's.

Oh wow.

Super, thanks so much for explaining all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what's the endgame here. to save her some money? See if Sky will switch her onto the "Essentials" pack which is only €10 a month and has all the basic channels (except Channel4) and recording - play the "elderly lady, short of money, doesn't want to leave Sky" if they're being difficult about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I would not recommend an Enigma2 solution in this scenario.

It will require maintenance (channels moving frequency etc) and it’s easy to get lost within the menus or press the wrong buttons.

This type of setup will not suit everyone.

Advertisement