Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand Songs - originals, covers, samples

Options
  • 17-08-2023 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭

SecondHandSongs is a database of originals, cover songs, sampled songs and sampling songs.

It's an advanced database which stores the data in a reusable and maintainable way, and which is interconnected to many other online databases.

So for example, this is a list of covers that Sinead O'Connor did, with links to streaming platforms or youtube where available :

Cover versions by Sinéad O'Connor | SecondHandSongs

i haven't had a chance to fully explore the site, and have been looking more at covers lists than anything else, but thought it might be of interest....(apologies if it's been posted before, but i did a search and got no results)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭rpirl

Happened upon it a few weeks ago, guess it must be fairly new

Good if you are trying to find out if someone wrote a song themselves or if it is a cover

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be interesting to see how many artists have been covered more often than they themselves have performed covers.

would be good to exclude songs which were only covered live (and not released on official releases)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

how is the site different from whosampled.com for checking samples and covers or originals

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭rpirl

Had a look at the wayback machine and site has been around for a good while, gradually adding to its database

I think I only spotted whosampled recently as well but hadn't gone into it

They both seem to be wiki-style sites, relying on people to add the content, there's a lot still to be added

Advertisement