Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double fantasy John Lennon last album

Options
  • 17-08-2023 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭

I'm just listening to this again. I think it's quite good. It got mixed reviews at the time which were withdrawn after his death.

I think his song craft is fine. He has been out of touch and the material is not dynamic but there are still good songs.

Just like starting over, woman and beautiful boy are great songs.

Yokos actually sound more new wave. I know she influenced the B-52s.

I think a lot of commentators wanted him still to be angry and he wasn't. He'd missed punk but in a lot of respects had done the rebellious thing.

He was domestically happy and wrote about that. Something he slated McCartney about writing about but he is allowed change.

Who knows what direction he would have gone in. McCartney has had a 20 year streak of great albums.

Dylan did some great albums in his later life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I'm a massive Beatles fan but I'm not a fan of Lennon's solo career at all (didn't like his voice or the production on most of his stuff, and I found most of the songs substandard). However I always think it's sweet that the last song he released before he died - Woman -was his best. Probably my favourite Lennon song along with Real Love. He had the tough exterior but was a romantic behind it all. I can't listen to Woman without shedding a few tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Imagine is the only Lennon album I think really stands up alongside the Beatles stuff. Plastic Ono Band has it's moments but it's very bleak. The rest of his solo stuff is a mixed bag.

If I'm listening to solo Beatles I'll usually stick on one of Georges first 2 albums, or McCartney's Ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think most of his solo albums are good. Two exceptional - his first in 1970 and Imagine. The rest are not bad bar sometime in new york city which is a ton of trash.

He was probably heading into a Dad rock phase in 1980 but he would have eventually come out of it like McCartney did.

Advertisement