Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GNIB card

Options
  • 17-08-2023 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi there,

My husband ( indian ) and I ( french citizen ) reside now in France after living in ireland. My husband still has his GNIB card valid until 2024.

Can he still travel to Ireland with the card ?

The embassy doesn't answer us on this point. He has on his passeport an expired french visa too that corresponds to the first year that we lived in France. I don't see anything that would prevent my husband to travel to Ireland with the GNIB card... https://www.gov.ie/en/service/73858-how-to-get-an-irish-residence-permit/

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭victor8600

The GNIB card does not give the permission to enter Ireland. If your husband has French residence permit, then he does not need a visa. However, if he does not have French residence card, he needs Irish visa:

Your [EU citizen's] family

Your family can travel with you. If members of your family are not citizens of the EU, EEA, Switzerland or the UK, they may need a visa to enter Ireland.

If your family member has a residence card under EU regulations issued by another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, they do not need a visa to enter Ireland. You should note that a family member normally gets this type of residence card if you are residing in a country that is not your country of nationality.

If you are not sure about the type of residence card your family members have, you should check with the immigration authorities in the country where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tringlarido

thanks a million for your prompt reply. I am very surprised with your reply, as this is the document she used to give at the border to the officers without any issue

"If your husband has French residence permit, then he does not need a visa." => no this is not true, my husband has a french residence permit indeed but he still need a visa. That was said by the irish embassy...

well I will ask the embassy to confirm again with the link that you provided....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭victor8600

Sorry, I might have an outdated information. It seems that the GNIB card I knew about is now replaced by the IRP card which

"An in date IRP card allows the holder to travel freely from and return to the state", as it is stated in

I wonder if someone who has an IRP could answer the question if they need a separate entry visa (as was the case before 2017).

• Advertisement

Thank you Victor! The thing that we wonder is if its possible to use it to enter Ireland considering that we live in France now. And if the officers at the border will check this based on the recent french visa in the passeport or if it doesn’t matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭dennyk

The IRP card is tied to an immigration permission your husband holds. That immigration permission would have been issued on certain conditions. If those conditions are no longer met, then the permission is no longer valid, nor is the IRP, even if they haven't yet expired due to time. For example, if he was issued a permission on the basis of joining you as your spouse in Ireland when you were exercising your free movement rights as an EU citizen and residing in Ireland, if you no longer reside in Ireland then your husband's permission to remain in Ireland on that basis would most likely no longer be valid, since the condition it was issued under (having a resident EU spouse) no longer applies.

Now, it's possible that the border official will look at his unexpired IRP and just wave him on through, but it's also possible that they will question your husband (and possibly you, if you're accompanying him) about your current situation, and when they learn that you no longer reside in Ireland, they might not allow your husband to enter the country without a visa.

As for the visa situation itself, he probably does need a visa since he is living with you in France and you are a French citizen. Visa-requiring non-EEA citizens don't need a visa if they have a particular type of residence card in another EU country, but that type of permit is issued to non-EEA spouses of EU/EEA citizens who are living in a country other than the country their EU/EEA spouse is a national of. Since you are French and living in France, he will most likely not have that type of residence permit, and so would still require a visa to travel to Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Your partner is a Schengen resident and as such requires a visa to enter Ireland. It does not matter what is on his passport because Irish officials have full access to the Schengen system and will know his status. The Irish authorities will also record his refusal of entry on the system and inform the French authorities. This is just asking for trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

If he is no longer resident in the state the card should be returned to the Dept of Justice. Travelling on it when he is no longer resident is risky.

His requirement for a visa to travel to the state would depend on what his residency in France is based on.

If you want to message me I can probably answer your question more accurately without having you post info openly on the thread..

Advertisement