Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car insurance including spouse

Options
  • 17-08-2023 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Pulled the trigger on a 29.9 year old W124 in the UK. Will be entering country a couple of days after its first registration birthday.

I'm starting process of looking at classic insurance. Do any companies allow spouse as second named driver?

I was just on to carol Nash (motorbike section strangely). They seemed to think not possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Carole Nash re-sell AXA and FBD policies, so maybe check with the two directly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 existelk

Super. Thanks, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I was with Carol Nash and had my daughter (in her thirties, own car) on the policy no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I was with them and got a discount for adding my wife to the policy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

AXA will let a spouse as well as other qualifying family members on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

My wife has been on all my policies - so First Ireland, Autoline and now Chubb. All three required her have a car in her own name too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Campion cover open driving for age 25-70 as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

FBD lets you reach 71 before the cut off.

Interestingly, I renewed my classic insurance recently, but contacted a different company to FBD, whom I was always with, and they said they don't do open driving. In fact, they said no one does it. I told them I was with FBD and they cover persons 25 to 71, and she seemed surprised. I can't remember who that company was, but if I wanted someone else to drive I had to name them on the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry you are right it's 71.

FBD policy with Campion, I renewed it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

AXA used to allow up to 4 named drivers on a classic policy (policy holder plus 3) and didn't look for "day car" insurance details for the 3.

Have moved from AXA now, so don't know if it still applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Try First Ireland Classic. Not sure if they do Spouse as my car has no PAS so wife proof!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

mine is with Allianz through autoline. I can only get my wife on it if she has her own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Just had my classic policy renewal notice from AXA €379.00 for 4 cars, wife and son on the policy! Been with them for 18 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Fbd via campion, open drive anyone aged 25+, 3rd party only on my policy, 200 a year with modified car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 existelk

As a follow up.

I went with Campion. They offered third party only (as it's a convertible) for €125. Open driving for anyone 25-71. Wife added as named driver, I needed this for parking cert.

FBD didn't call back.

AXA will do comprehensive for €320 but won't cover unless it has an NCT. Wouldn't accept MOT. As the car is just imported I can't go with them for the moment but may switch later.

Thanks for all the help.

This absolutely boils my blood!

I pay close to 900 for 3 classic cars, on my own, one on agreed value. I pay OVER a grand on a daily Toyota that's probably at this point worth less than that. The second any Irish insurer hears "Eastern European" driving license they see $$$$ signs. Every one of them. And every year it's the same old bullshit story about "higher risk group" while refusing to provide ANY evidence to support it when challenged.

Doesn't matter I have nearly 30 years accident free driving, nearly 20 of which in Ireland on said license.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sorry to ask the patently obvious: but why don't you get an Irish licence then ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Because an Irish license needs to be renewed every 10 years. Mine never expires.

And the test I had to pass to get it almost 3 decades ago, was far beyond what you get in Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Renewing a license takes all of 10 mins every 10 years. If you are paying over the odd for insurance that seems like a no brainer to me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That's no excuse to not hold an Irish licence.

And somehow you conflate a test you did 30 years ago as being remotely relevant now ?

So, you complain about €900 insurance, but won't spend €55 to reduce it. You can't have it both ways.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Carol Nash, Mk1 gti and R50 Mini cooper fully comp policies with the wife named on both

So no issues there.

Advertisement