Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please Toll roads in Italy and tips if anyone done my planned route(s) before appreciated :)

Options
  • 17-08-2023 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I have a family roadtrip coming up soon, flying into Turin, carhire and heading through the alps across the border into France to a hopefully lovely little campsite in Alpes-Haute-Provence not too far from Barcelonette for a week. trying to decide on one of 2 possible routes. happy with my piloting abilities but not done Italian Toll roads/tunnels before, French yes but about 15 years back.

so seems that there's 2 ways generally to achieve the drive from what I can see, similar 4 hour ish journey times:

a) directly heading west from Turin airport on the E70 motorway direction Frejus, come off at Oulx onto SS24 via Briançon to Barcelonette area

this seems possibly the more interesting scenic route and gives us the option of hitting the Carrefour/E.Leclerc to get a shop in halfway in Briançon which is a nice town too apparently BUT there'd be tolls and tunnels (note: I think I can take smaller roads skirting along by the E70 and avoiding tolls but it might add couple hours)

OR

b) directly heading south from Turin airport, ring road around Turin going south E717 and come off at Massimini A33/SS21 westward to Barcelonette area

having to go around Turin, seems kinda boring route compared to the other one, no tolls far as I can tell

anyone know that corner of the alps between France/Italy?

all advice and tips welcome thanks!

Comments

Both routes have tolls. The E717 (actually A6) and the A33 are tolled. Of your options: E70 - €14 tolls. E717 - €9.80 tolls.

Unless you really want to take the scenic route, over an hour longer, take the tolled Autostrada.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭martco

yeah you're right can see that now. after posting I found the autostrade dot it webpage with the toll calculator and it's not major money either direction really. I think I'm going to stick with my route a) as above and take that E70 for that first part of the journey (the proper scenery comes after anyway) I just "drove" it there on google earth, it's more scenic interesting route than the other one and the smaller roads also look much better quality as well, plus I'll get the weeks shop done in Briançon, coffee and bite before heading to the finish line.

hoping now the weather plays ball for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Do you have to hire a car straight away? A few years ago we did a similar trip in opposite direction. We got train from France up to Cuneo, town not too far from Turin. Train trip probably most beautiful scenery I have had on a train. Lovely just to sit back and enjoy the trip.

Maybe consider this option and rent car when you get to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭martco

trip all said and done now and had the best time, this was a major discovery for us!

we'd himmed an hawed for years about trying a camping hollier in the Alps, mainly cos missus didn't think she'd be into it and I have a special needs child in the picture to think of but she was upset to leave it in the end and our child had the best time!

the campsite was 10/10 a fab proper old school French well maintained 2 star, there was loads to see and do locally and the scenery was breathtaking everywhere we went

we hired the car from a crowd called sicilybycar at Turin airport, never heard of them before but was super smooth and not as expensive or restrictive as some either. and in the end I tried both routes to the destination I had looked at originally...the more northerly one across via Briancon on the way there, and the more southerly one back to Turin via Barcelonette/Cuneo

would have loved to have involved a train but we didn't have enough time on this occasion

even the Ryanair bit worked for once, good flights and luckily we missed the Brits ATC fupp up/hack takedown

I can see us launching a 3 week trip multi location job at some point in next couple years for sure

also gotta say it was 200% better value and experience than anything similar I could have achieved in Ireland too, we're being monumentally screwed cost of living wise here GRRRR :)

Advertisement