Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water tank cover

Options
  • 17-08-2023 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭

Is it essential to have a lid on the water tank in the attic? I always assumed it was covered, been up at it for the first time in years and it isn’t. 🤦‍♂️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It helps to keep a host of insects, birds, rodents and airborne particles out. You would also need the tank covered in order to insulate over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

Thanks muffler. A sheet of plywood do for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not really as it will get condensation on it which will eventually rot it. Some form of plastic is best. I have used an election poster before, they are often printed on a white corrugated plastic.

Measure the size and check in a builders merchants you might get lucky and find a lid if the tank is a standard size.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks a mill. Out of curiosity how often is it recommended to have the tank cleaned?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Shuttering/marine grade ply would do but as stated a form of pvc covering is ideal. What I have on mine is a piece of shuttering ply wrapped in plastic with the joints taped and it's fine. When you get the cover sorted run some fiberglass or similar up the sides of the tank and over the top. Don't insulate below it as you need that wee bit of heat rising up to the tank to prevent freezing during winter.

As to cleaning it all depends on what amount of dirt is in it but I'd suggest every 7 - 10 years if its the average type and use.

• Advertisement

Super responses guys, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Our tank was never covered, got a plastic cover in Chadwicks I think that fits fine with a bit of overlap. Drilled a hole in it for an overflow pipe to get in. And covered that to stop condensation getting out. No condensation dripping down the sides as there is a slope to redirect that back into the tank on the inside.

Think it was about 50 quid. Got it after a home grown solution didn't work. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭SC024

Also if there is an expansion pipe discharging over the tank it is essential that this remains above the water line when full but below the lid of the tank so that any discharge from it enters the tank. may be a plastic or copper pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Once found a dead mouse in one.

Cover it anyway

Advertisement