Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct prep

Options
  • 16-08-2023 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

My mk1 golf gti is up for a test in three weeks.

Its my first time to put a vintage through, is the test the same as a 'normal' car or are there any pointers that can be shared so I can prepare the car accordingly.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Concerns

1 the car is very low, it bottoms out on most ramps, will they work with a low car (or tear the exhaust off😉)

2 there is an old... Old clifford immobiliser on the car, a small fob must be touched off a point in the dash pre starting, will they engage with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If the car is on coilovers then just raise it up a bit but doesn't look to be low enough to cause a problem. You can just tell them about the fob or just leave the car running which is what I always do with one of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

The test is the same as for a modern, apart from emission limits. Just prep the same, check lights, tyre pressure etc.

I was last there in Jan, you no longer wait in your car IIRC, so leaving it running is out. Just tape a note to the steering wheel about the immobiliser.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I may tape a note and tape the spot for the immobiliser😊

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

The test is the same, except emissions as already mentioned. What I have noticed though (especially at Northpoint) is that some testers enjoy testing these old cars so much, it takes twice as long as usual :D (the other version is: they to their best to find something to fail the car)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Absolutely. Most testers love an old car especially one in good condition. In Arklow it takes at least three guys to inspect my 1988 S124 and two in Enniscorthy!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

So if you test an old 70's classic for the first time, does it automatically get called up on its yearly test anniversary, once its in the system

That's a good question.

My car is an '83 so it's had its last legally obligated test, I asked the tester if I can do voluntary tests in the future he said yes, but I forgot to ask if they contact me or what.

BTW it's every 2 years for classics.

Post edited by MrCostington on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Have done two tyests in the past week and was asked to wait with the car both times. Theres nothing stopping the OP from just sitting in the car anyway so he can explain the starting sequence I'd imagine. I had this with one of the cars during the week - had the immoboliser in valet mode for them so if they went over a certain speed they wouldn't have been able to get the car started again.

It must be on a per center basis then? I used Northpoint in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Very strange. I had to re-test my daily in Jan and both times it was take the key and sit in the waiting room. Maybe a few of the testers got covid since Jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm bringing a slightly modified TT soon for nct and not looking forward.

Will I need engineers report for rear seat delete?

Not sure, once they took the car you could walk straight into the waiting room.

I think its a fail now if the number of seats don't match whats on the logbook - saw a few posts about this elsewhere. Think you need an engineers reports which is then needed for you need to update the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Can you get a car that is over 40 tested voluntarily? I don’t see anything on their site.

I know wedding cars need to be tested annually if they are over 40 but that is because they are being used commercially.

Cui bono?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Yes you can get a voluntary test.

Always have been the case.

https://archive.ph/GdgMx (Old Irish Times article from 2010.)

Interesting article. There’s no mention of the voluntary test in the new regulations from 2017 but I put a couple of pre-1983 regs from DoneDeal into the booking system and it let me pick a date and didn’t give me a warning that my car was exempt.

Have any of the posters here (all 8 of us that are left in Classics) managed to put an exempt car through the Test?

Cui bono?

My oldest is an '88 car and is due again in '24 and I will continue to NCT it when it passes into the over 40 arena. I think its good to have a current NCT on any car should you wish to sell as it adds a certain reassurance to the purchaser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

My AE86 is 40 this year so I definitely won't be testing it again

Checked with NCTS and you can voluntarily test a car over forty. Looks like no one is doing it though. Oldest cars tested this year were from 1984 according to their stats.

Cui bono?

I don't get the point of testing it at the NCT centre after 40 years if you don't need the cert. They're not going to do a really detailed inspection, and your money would be better spent getting your local mechanic to give it a look over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

I like the idea of the big shake they give the car when it's on the ramp so they can see suspension things moving around. It's a lot of tests and good data for 55 without the fear that someone is trying to upsell you.

My local lads will do a lot more on an inspection free of charge - and will list anything it needs done. While I’m actually generally a fan of the NCT approach - and the fact they’re not incentivised to find anything to fix for you - I would never have described it as a thorough inspection.

What happens if your 40+ year old car fails the voluntary test or gets a red sticker?

As the test is voluntary, you’re under no obligation to bring it back to the centre for a retest and pass. You’ll just be obliged under the existing road traffic legislation to keep your car in good repair and not drive a dangerously defective vehicle.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

Hence the reason I've never NCTd mine: When it fails the NCT you'd be in the situation where you are knowingly driving around in a car that has failed a standardised roadworthiness test (mandatory or not), whish isn't fantastic from an insurance POV. (but I still like the idea)

I've chatted to workers in two separate NCT centers, both had classics and both expressed their reservations with having an NCT done because of that.

You're very lucky to have a local mechanic who will have a look over you car free of charge, stick with them. I've not been so lucky.

Instead of "knowingly driving around in a car that has failed a standardised roadworthiness test" would you not want to fix the issue?

• Advertisement

I think most responsible drivers would. I guess the grey area is where they fail you on something thats not actually an issue in reality - which is common enough as any BMW owner will attest to (light surface rust on the dual skinned brake lines for example). The car is roadworthy, but its failed a roadworthiness test.

Advertisement