Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q: NBI terminate house cable

Options
  • 16-08-2023 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi

NBI engineers are running cables around the area today , Q when they run the cable to the house

My house was built 2008 ( I purchased last year) , only one phone port within the house afaik , cable runs from existing pole into the house , no idea if it works

I assume an NBI engineer will replace this cable

Q: if they terminate the cable at the house junction box , piggyback off the existing cable in the house, I assume the 2008 phone cable running through the house to upstairs, will limit the speed considerable? Ideally they would need to replace the whole cable up to the final termination point in the wall upstairs?

Would a better solution, for an engineer to drill through downstairs wall and terminate to a new port ?

Will an NBI engineer drop in and have a chat or do they leave this up to the ISP , install the internal connection point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Shoog

NBI use fibre to your door which is completely different to the copper you already have. They put a fibre termination modem which converts the optical signal into a LAN based signal which then goes to a conventional Router which is provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

So they will run an optical cable from the pole to your house - they will mount the optical Modem in your house and you will need to provide a power point for this to work. All of this is arranged through a ISP such as Vodafone who should have approached you to sign you up for a contract.

NBI will not approach you to offer a connection.

Advertisement