Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babylon 5: The Road Home

Options
  • 15-08-2023 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So I am starting this thread here as the B5 Forum is closed unfortuntely and I know there is some in here that enjoy or enjoyed B5.

So this is a B5 cartoon film but it is not bad. There is some humour in it and of course Zathrus is there no sorry no Zathrus not Zathrus. Notice the difference lol oh and there is only 9 of them no really there is only 9 of them.

There is some cool takes on the way B5 and events in the Galaxy could have unfolded too.

It's worth a watch at least once.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Post edited by AMKC on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Took a look this evening. Nothing great but not to dreadful think the quality or maybe style of animation let it down a bit. Animation seemed a bit cheap?

Did like the copywrite joke.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Just watched it there now.

It really did have a B5 feel to it and seemed to be feeding the memberberries with having all of our favourite characters showing up throughout ... though Bester was absent. 🤔😋

The style of animation was a bit jarring. I thought the people's faces were terrible. The jump points and hyperspace effects would probably trigger somebody with photosensitive epilepsy. But the ships and other structures were all excellent. For example the Star Furies behaved exactly like they did in the original and they looked great.

It was great hearing the familiar voices again, but two (for me) were sorely missed. While Garibaldi (Jerry Doyle) was a favourite of mine (I too do security), both Sinclair (Michael O'Hare) and G'Kar (Andreas Katsulas) had such an eloquent way of speaking, that I loved their monologues. The scene at the rim, with G'Kar played by Andrew Morgado, just didn't have the same gravitas for me.

But the final scene ... was that giving us a hint that there may be more to come???

Please?

Great Maker?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'd love to watch this as being a fan of B5 but a cartoon - I just can't make myself (same with the ST animation shows)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe your missing out if you have not watched Lower Decks and this once you get over the animation is mostly very good too. There is a great piece on it on one of the magazines in Easons now. Worth reading.

I agree. The same here.

But the final scene ... was that giving us a hint that there may be more to come???

Yes if this is a success there might be more. This is a way of testing the waters.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Started watching this and ... was the original show as Smart Àss as this movie? There was a lot of quipping that felt a little bit much. Nothing to say about the story cos it really is just cribbing the multiverse fad for some nostalgic series tourism. An actual, new story would have been nice.

The animation still doesn't endear, really stiff and without personality; though the modern high res space stuff looked well. The voice acting a little so so that doesn't help the wonky aesthetic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished it up today, and really not down with it, on balance. Just felt like a slightly pointless coda for a story already finished; the multiverse stuff a bit too like jumping on a fad that has already been done quite a lot of late that it's far from original or enticing anymore. The end sequence just left me really confused: was that some kind of reboot tease? COs not sure about that particular "spin" on things, or indeed more stories in that very ropey animation style.

Bruce Boxleitner put in a really good voice performance, but the rest were very so-so and G'Kar's stand in just didn't have the same gravitas as the late Andreas Katsulas. Mad to think that for a show from the mid to late 90s, (I think) more of the cast has passed away than Star Trek's original series.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Good to know - the storyline (and animation style) put me off straight away as just a copycat of several other films in the past while - so decided not to watch and live in hope of a proper reboot or continuation...

Yeah, maybe to be entirely cynical it was a copyright thing? If Straczynski or Warners didn't make something they'd lose the rights? Cos this left a real conflict of emotions: a show that has a large volume of fondness in my memory & heart, and as great as it was to visit the universe after all these years, was left wondering what the point of it all was.

Advertisement