Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi trip travel insurance

Options
  • 15-08-2023 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm looking to renew my insurance in the next few weeks and looking at what's on the market. Having been lucky not to have a reason to claim so far I'm wondering if there are any companies that are better or worse.

I currently have  multitrip . com, they are cheap and include winter sports but I want to consider more than just price this time around.

If anyone can help out and give some thoughts that'd be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've never had to use it thankfully but recently had been sticking to companies that offered cover around Covid, had found Chill had enough cover in this areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Chill, and many others, have a massive loophole in their policy. They will only cover disruption for a trip beginning or ending in Ireland. Fine if you're on a typical holiday but my trip was disrupted as we attempted to fly to our second destination and chill wouldn't cover anything. We were just splitting a two week trip across two centres and the flights to our second destination were repeatedly cancelled. Airline will cover some stuff but the stuff insurance should cover we're out of pocket for. Will not be renewing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Comfychicken

I had forgot to check the insurances that i'd normally link to car insurance.

getsetgo doesn't seem to have a great cover.

123.ie seem to have a better package.

But it all comes down to how good are to deal with. Situations as mentioned by Caranica, are what we would want to avoid. In the past, I had year and years ago I had a claim for a damaged camera with VHI and they were easy to deal with. It was only a minor claim less than 100e.

Anyone with experience with multitrip . com, or the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have moved health insurance provider on a few occasions, and I have generally taken out the add-on travel insurance with the relevant company, as I believe, rightly or wrongly, that it would make it easier to claim, particularly if it was a health issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭gipi

Due to illness, I had to cancel a holiday last year. My travel insurance refunded the cost of the holiday in full (can't recall who it was taken out with, but Mapfre were the underwriters).

My travel companion claimed on his travel insurance, which was with his health insurance provider. An excess of 85 euro was applied, so he didn't get a full refund.

Read the small print carefully!

• Advertisement
Advertisement