Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Drive to use as StartUp Disk

Options
  • 15-08-2023 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi,

I've got a 2019 iMac which has been incredibly slow for a long time now. It hasn't really been an issue because I haven't been using it, but I'd like to get it back working properly now. I work as a graphic designer so it can make my work fairly painful when it's struggling.

Just some details:

Processor: 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Memory: 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

I think the problem is most likely that is has a Fusion hard drive and it's just not up to it anymore. My plan is to buy an external drive to set as my startup disk and see if that fixes the speed issues. My question is are there any particular requirements for what drives I can use for this. I found this LaCie 2TB drive on the Apple site, would this be my best bet? https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/HQ4D2ZM/A/lacie-mobile-drive-secure-usb-c-2tb-with-rescue

Thanks

Advertisement