Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on switching up my career-path

Options
  • 15-08-2023 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello, 

I've recently had a real epiphany about my worklife and how I might put my current role as a freelance sports writer behind me. 

I climbed my ladder very quickly and excelled in one particular field (sports), but I've never really considered translating my skillset until now.

I'm looking at potential career paths that fit my areas of expertise + skills and I was wondering if anyone had any input on what sort of jobs I would be a good fit for.

I'll list some experience I have below and if you guys could give me a sense of where I'm at + potential jobs that could specifically work for me. 

- I was a sports journalist (opinion piece/feature writing, news reporting, and interviewing) for 3.5 years (1 full-time) at a well-regarded online sports publication. I've interviewed and written features on some of the biggest names in the sports I covered. I took in about 15 million views during that time.

- Over the last 3 years I have worked in YouTube script-writing - creating a wide range of high quality video styles that have garnered about 120 million views in that time. Documentaries, opinion pieces, more low-brow content styles, and everything in between.

- I'm a voice actor with about 3 years experience.

- I worked for 6 months as the editor of a sports website, working with a lot of SEO optimisation-related stuff during that time.

Basically, I spent the last 7 years working in this specific field - but I branched out into different content styles and formats during that time. 

Any tips or insight into how hireable that might make me for certain fields would be awesome.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yes, but what do you actually want to do and what other skills and qualifications do you have?

All I can think of from what you posted is that if you were really good a developing click bait and it can easily be verified then perhaps something in advertising - copywriter/production etc.... Companies want advertising agencies that can deliver, so if you can demonstrate that you are able to get their products in front of their target customer group, then it could be very profitable for you. Most of the really good stuff I have seen on YouTube etc...

The problem is that most of the YouTube/Website skills are widely available and cheap because you are competing with people in lower cost economies, students and kids wanting to earn a bit of extra pocket money. You need high value added and a barrier to entry, to command a good income.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think it's a difficult field to standout in and be as successful you have been. So I'm not sure why you want to change.

As Jim2007 says theres a ton of competition in both this field and any similar alternatives be will be the the same. Not to mention growing use of AI in all of them.

Having said all that. And I dunno know why you want to change. The obvious development of media career is to develop yourself as your own brand. No?

Advertisement